Review by sarCAsum0

"Mario Kart DS is good, but not the best."

Mario Kart DS is a fun game, but it probably won't last very long.

APPEARANCE: 9/10

Mario Kart DS is overall great in the appearance. The menus and title screen also look great. I can't really say anything else about it.

GRAPHICS: 6/10

Now, the stage graphics look pretty good. The item graphics, like bob-omb explosions look pretty mediocre. But why is it 6/10? The character graphics look horribly blocky and deformed. The only "normal" looking one probably has to be Yoshi. The karts half the time don't even look like vehicles, AND they have horrible graphics. The Mario Kart 64 graphics looked way better.

SOUND AND MUSIC: 9/10

Now, the sounds are okay, but get annoying. However, I love the music. It might get annoying, but it's awesome. It matches the theme, like in Rainbow Road. And most of them are different.

DESIGN: 8/10

The design is very good. Each of stages are unique (except for some of the SNES retro ones) and they were a blast to play. The missions are crazy (not the bad kind) even though they might get hard. Balloon Battle and Shine Runners' stages are awesome.

GAMEPLAY: 7/10

The gameplay is fine, all the mechanics are smooth and working. The only problem is items. They are cheap. You're whizzing toward the finish line and-
Spiny shell. You end up being in 5th instead of 1st. There is an item bar for each of the karts, to improve items, yet you still only get bananas and green shells in first or second. Now, the battle stages. Balloon Battle is different. Instead of having three balloons, you start with one and have four more. You need to blow up your balloons at the beginning. If you're down to one, blow up another one. (If you have another one, that is) Shine Runners is where you need to collect Shine Sprites (people who played Super Mario Sunshine will be familiar with them) off the ground and steal them from other players.

ONLINE: 7/10

Ah, the online racing. People say it's the best thing about the game. I have a wireless router. I have two. Yet I can't do WiFi. Why is that? Because I have a WPA and WPA-2 protocol for my password. I don't have a WEP password. If this is your problem, go and buy the Nintendo WiFi USB Connector.
Now, the WiFi battles aren't so great. I did one once. There aren't many stages. There are only four people. (Plus people never stay for more than one race) So, the online I give a 7.

WIRELESS: 7/10

Yes, you can connect Mario Kart DS wirelessly to another DS. The problem is, if you play another person without a Game Card, there is only VS. and Battle, there are fewer stages, and the person without a Game Card HAS to play as a Shyguy. Why not just let them pick a character? Why not add a Shyguy to the person who has a Game Card's selection?

Overall, this is a good game. However, it might be unlikely you'll get to the end.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/07/10

Game Release: Mario Kart DS (US, 11/14/05)