Review by Ron_Race

"Surgery is drama..."

This game will encourage you to become a surgeon, it's just that good...

This game is just so inspiring and is such a great simulation. This is how I categorize this game: a simulation. Being in the medical field, this game never ceases to amaze me in gameplay, it is highly entertaining. While the game is mostly action, it falls under simulation because of how realistic it is. When you leave wounds open and the patient is bleeding profusely, his or her vitals will drop until you take care of those wounds. If you let too many wounds occur, you won't be able to stabilize the patient's vitals in enough time and you will fail the operation.

The sounds in this game are that of an Operating Room, silent to a certain extent. There is background music which fits that of a dramatic hospital setting. Also you can hear the machines that record and show the patients vitals beep. When you make cuts in the patient, it sounds a little funny but I think it is necessary to let players know when they haven't selected the correct tool.

The gameplay is extraordinary, simpy put. As I've said, the steps you take in the operations are realistic. You don't simply begin an operation with the patient already opened up, you must make an incision for every operation. The tools are fun to use in each and every operation (though in the more challenging operations you may curse your tools; they have a limited use before being replenished but the usage is more than enough for most operations). You will feel confident in your skills very soon in the game. Gaining a certain ability about midway through the storyline enables you to pull off an extraordinary feat: slowing time. The application of this ability to a surgery game may sound strange, but is very interesting and fun in execution. It doesn't worn out, you choose when (and if) to use it in the operation.

The graphics are top notch for a DS game, I hope that more games will be made with graphics this good. My hat is off to the developers of this game because all the organs were recognizable (I knew I was operating on the stomach, I didn't have to take my assistant's word for it). Anyone who is interested in going into the surgical field would do good to buy this game, it uses real medical terms and references. The only aspect that may seem non-realistic about this game is the slightly futuristic sense: the antibiotic gel that automatically seals small wounds, the fact that in the game, cancer and aids are things of the past. However, the gel is not that far off... in fact there are similar things used, though they are made of proteins and are more like a paste than a gel.

Replay includes a couple of challenging surgeries and the ability to relive any surgery you completed in the storyline, which allows you to perfect your skills and techniques as old procedures like removing tumors will pop up in later operations as well.

This is a must buy game, if you have a DS, go buy the game as soon as possible. It's just that good.

The final scores:
Replay: 7/10
Controls/Playability: 10/10
Difficulty: Varies
Learning Curve: Depends on player
Experienced: Easy-Med Newcomer: Med-Hard
-Avid DS gamers will learn pretty easily, newcomers will take a little longer

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/20/06