Review by 94067

"Meteos is an absolute must-have DS game that will last quite a while."

For people who don't want to read the whole review:

Gameplay - 8/10

Controls - 8/10

Graphics - 9/10

Story - If the entire story can be explained before the title screen, it's not a story/10

Sound/Music - 9/10

Challenge - Undefinable/10

Multiplayer – 7/10

Longevity - 9/10

Fun - 7/10

Worth it? - Yes

Overall - 8/10

For people who have nothing better to do:

After more than a year of getting a DS, this game is of only two games I have for the DS, and I am still waiting for a DS game as good as this one. Meteos is one of the only definite must-buy games for the DS that I am aware of. Although this awkward sci-fi/ puzzle game is by no means ‘ground breaking', it sure is addictive.

I will admit that when I first bought this game, and after a few hours of playing it, I still could not find much redeeming quality to make it nearly as good as people said that it is. I have never before hated a game so much that I would return it, but I feared that this might be my first. So I put it away for a few months. It was on a day in early 2006 that I decided to give it another try. I have been playing it a few times a week ever since. For people who have not played much of Meteos and are not quite as pleased as you have wished, give it another try. It gets some getting used to, at least for me.

Gameplay – 8/10

There have been many attempts at making an original puzzle game. Unlike all of them besides Tetris, Meteos has succeeded very well at this. You use the stylus to send blocks called Meteos to destroy planets by lining them up in rows and columns of three. You just can't beat that. Just to add to the greatness, there are blocks falling that you can control the speed of when blocks are already trying to liftoff. Along with that, each planet has a very unique gravitational pull.

This is where people get hooked on Meteos. After unlocking all planets, you can try your best to beat your own high scores on the Star Trip, Deluge Mode, or Time War. Surprisingly, you can spend many months trying to master each planet. I myself spent just over 200 hours so far doing this. Most of the time you'll be spending on will be in Deluge Mode, with its collection of all of the planets.

Unfortunately, Star Trip, Deluge Mode, and Time War are all the modes this game has to offer, except for Multiplayer, which is seldom used because of the lack of Wi-Fi. There are two things I would add to make the Gameplay perfect: Wi-Fi and a story mode. Because Wi-Fi was not available at the time of Meteos' launch, obviously Meteos does not have it. I wanted a much longer version of Star Trip, but maybe that's just me. With these two options, Meteos might have achieved perfect gameplay, but you can still spend hundreds of hours without them.

Controls – 8/10

As hundreds of blocks fall from the sky, you can use your stylus or control pad to move the blocks up and down to line up rows (or columns) of three of more. Honestly, the control pad is really for people who lost their stylus. Switching the position of blocks with a stylus is a wonderful idea. It's really easy to get used to, and just makes Meteos the game that it is. However, the screen gets somewhat dull, and makes moving specific blocks (especially on the credits planet) kind of difficult.

Graphics – 9/10

The graphics are not outstanding, nor remarkable, but they are visually impressive and easy on the eyes. Seeing the blocks fall and crash into the ground and blast off looks surprisingly good. Along with that, the different environment each planet has make each planet memorable and creates a new world for each planet you are destroying along your way to planet Meteo. Meteos' appearance is nothing too spectacular, but it does its job of making Meteos a longer-lasting game.

Story – If the entire story can be explained before the title screen, it's not a story/10

Seriously, this is no Final Fantasy when it comes to the story. Your planet is screwed, and you must blow up the evil Meteo planet. That's all there is to it. I have to give them credit for trying somewhat to make a story because stories in puzzle games are rare, but if you really are concerned about having a epic story in your video games, than you won't find it here.

Sound/Music – 9/10

I confess: I don't really care much for the sound quality for video games. Occasionally I play with the sound on, and to tell you the truth, it's pretty entertaining. The sound of blocks blasting off into space adds to the excellence of this game, especially during multiplayer. Each planet has a soundtrack of its own. As for a few of them that I paid attention to, they were sort of catchy. If you truly want to know more about the music of a video game, I'm not your man.

Challenge – Undefinable/10

I simply can't give an exact score for the challenges that Meteos offers. I could give it a 1/10 or a 10/10. It's all in how you look at it. If you're satisfied with a few hundred points on Deluge Mode, the challenge would be 1/10, but if you're trying to get a maximum score on a planet like Hevendor (getting 9,999,999 on Hevendor can be nothing more than an idea; it truly is impossible) then I would give the challenge a big 10/10. Along with that, the Star Trip can be set on multiple difficulty levels. Meteos can be as much of a challenge as you want it to be.

Multiplayer – 7/10

The multiplayer can be quite fun. That is, of course, if you can find someone who has a copy of their own, or even likes the game at all. Blasting the crap out of each other (especially when your opponent isn't that good with holding down the L or R buttons) is a thrill. If you know someone with a copy of their own, and you have one, too, you're in luck. You can face each other on any planet, assuming that your friend and you unlocked every planet. If you are downloading Meteos multiplayer from another copy onto another DS, not only is the wait unnecessarily long, but you can only play on the first four planets. If Meteos was on Wi-Fi, then you'd spend almost all your time facing someone, instead of trying to master each planet or see how fast you can launch 1,000 Meteos. The multiplayer is a blast – It's just seldom used.

Longevity - 9/10

Here's what makes Meteos how great it is. As I said earlier, at this time, my copy of Meteos has around 200 hours on it, after having it for just over a year. The reason why Meteos is almost as immortal as Dick Clark is for the same reason Tetris is: It just is. No one knows why both Meteos and Tetris can live for years. Unlike Tetris, however, there are many different variations of gravitational pulls and sizes among planets that there is much more to master, instead of just the same old falling blocks.

Even though this sounds like the formula for a game you can play forever, it falls a point short of everlasting gameplay. Meteos is not the type of game you deny other games to play. After a few hours of unlocking new features, you only play Meteos if there is nothing better to play. The next time a revolutionary new puzzle game comes around, it's more than likely that Meteos will be played less, but certainly won't be forgotten. If you're sick of buying games that last between 10 and 20 hours to complete, definitely buy Meteos.

Fun – 7/10

To be honest, Meteos simply isn't as fun as it is addictive. Sure, there's enough for you to do that you'll probably never get married, or even leave the comfort of your home again, but attempting to perfect each planet just isn't very fun. It's just some sort of impulse you get after playing this too much. Anyways, there's still quite a bit of joy in watching other planets blow up, in addition to the unexplainable regular joys of gaming.

Worth it? – Yes

Of course Meteos is worth the $20-30 that it is now. Save yourself some time by buying it, instead of renting it first. Let's say that buying games is like buying candy. Well, if Meteos was some candy that you bought, it would be some sort of asexual candy that would be able to make more and more candy for free. Meteos has hours upon hours of gameplay with it, and it's definitely worth the amount of money that it is.

Overall – 8/10

Meteos is a very simple game. From this simple game, you can lose a great part of your life. If you played a bit of it already, and you're not satisfied with what you've played, give it another try. It's not without its flaws, but Meteos is, in my opinion, essential to any great DS collection. Get it, if you haven't already.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/02/07