Review by Zylot

"Nanostay: A solid shooter at a budget price!"

I was off making a lightning fast late night run to EB. My goal, I needed a game! Nanostray? NO, I was on a quest to get We <3 Katamari. I found it, and handed over a stack of games to trade in. The result came in: $60?! For my lame old games? Well, might as well find something else...

I see a box in the DS section with a big ole ship on the front, and my heart does a double skip: A shootemup, on DS?! Can it be, how did I overlook this? BUDGET RELEASE?!?!?! Ok, so I nab it and get both games for -0.02 total cost. Thanx EB, now for the review:

Very good, very very good. Maybe me proud to own a DS. Some of the stages are really well down, with clouds and mist, or water that looks wonderful. Good,c lean, and impressive. -1 for slowdown.

Sound/Music: 7/10
Some of the sounds can get annoying, but the music is good shmup fair. No Ikaruga or Gradius V, but enough to keep me in my groove.

Controls: 9/10
Ok, so switching weapons with the tough screen can be quirky at first, but after a bit you get the hang of it. other then that everything responds well, so it's good stuff.

The big one! Easy enough for beginners in quest mode, challenging enough to keep you coming back for more in Arcade and Challenge. An interesting weapons system (to play for score, you need to avoid using these "sub weapons") that remainds me of RSG in a way. The levels and it's waves on enemies are well planned out, and always fun.

End result: 9/10!!

Extras:
-5 cool points for useless multiplayer
+10 stereotype points for an asteroid level
-10 originality points for a "face" last boss
+7 groove points for the music in the second to last level
+3 Radiant Silvergun Points for ripping off it's Lightning type weapon.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/05