Review by Inuyashafan6o48

"Very good game; a must have for all TBS lovers"

I just had gotten the game, but I love it.

Gameplay 10/10

You can't beat this sort of game for TBS. Tieing with Fire Emblem as the best battle system (which I know comes from the same company). The game challenges you to balance how many troops to fight with, and how many to reinforce your ally with.

To be honest, I like the dual COs. It adds some strategy to the mix. Will you go for the Tag Powers with their built in dual strikes? Or will you put others together for CO ability combos?

The only problem with the gameplay is that you have firepower bonuses with your COs. I hate how the game has become based around the powers, not more on your abilities. On the other hand, putting tedious battles together does get boring.

Campaign Playability 9/10

The campaign, although horrible in storyline, has great missions. For those too impatient to read the instruction manual and haven't played any Advance Wars games before, it gives some easy missions to base your learning off of. Then, after, it starts putting you against some allied COs like Sensei, and Jess. This was one of the best parts of the AW1 Campaign.

However, the only drawback is, you always get the same missions, you don't have choice like in AW2, and you can't get different maps for different COs like AW1. This drawback is probably the only one.

I don't actually use battle animations, so basing off of the maps, there were a couple flaws:

1) On maps like the Black Bomb Lab mission, I thought that the Bomb squads, which Lash "convenietly" lost, were able to leave their cages and head for the heart of the battle, so I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't get my bombs to move

2) Some of your old and favorite COs went odd. Adder somehow, against all hope, got uglier. Kanbei went back to his old self and looks creepy. Nell looks weird...and Eagle looks like a war hero.

Music: 9/10

Some themes got better, some worse (Lash's old theme sounded better). However, they still do carry the theme of the battle. And now, the weapons actually sound like weapons. Missile Silos make a tremendous BOOM upon impact.

Controls: 10/10

To be honest, the touch screen doesn't to a thing for me, I use the D-pad an all that. However, for those who like a PC-like game, take out your thumbpad, and start your tapping!

Replayability: 10/10

If I can play AW1 for 2 years, AW2 for 1 1/2 years, I'm sure you can also make this game last.

Great game, beating AW2, and tieing with AW1

Rent or Buy?

Rent for those unsure of the game. Buy for the rest

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/26/05