Review by Krism

"You'll be glad you bought that DS!"

Nintendo has a bunch of series that make it famous: Mario, Zelda, Pokemon. But one series in particular made my life, as well as my GameBoy Advance's life, very happy, and that series was the Advance Wars series. Now Nintendo released the latest installment of the popular GBA game, but now on the two screened beauty called the DS. They continued the story that ended in AW2:Black Hole Rising, and from there, the game only gets better.

Storyline: 9/10
The story, as I stated before, takes place shortly after the end of Advance Wars 2, it seems that after defeating Sturm and saving Macro Land, Orange Star, Blue Moon, Green Earth, and Yellow Comet joined forces and created the 'Allied Nations' to protect the lands from any group that endanger the safety of the world. But it soon seems that the Allied Nations will be needed sooner than anyone thought... only across the globe. This story takes place in the far away continent of Omega Land. This new land seems to be feeling the sting of the Black Hole's backlash after getting trounced in AW2, but no one knows how the evil army got its massive forces back after getting destroyed by the Allied Nations in AW2. With a new Land to protect, there are new COs (Commanding Officers) to put in charge of you vast army. There are 2 to Orange Star, 1 to Blue Moon, Yellow Comet, and Green Earth, and 4 new evil COs for the evil Black Hole.

Game Play: 10/10
If you played the first two games, or the previous installments of the Famicom Wars or GB Wars, you will be happy to know that the game sticks to it's roots and plays in the same fashion as it's predecessors. You build units to fight with, you attack enemy units, you unleash special CO Powers, attack again, build more units, unleash Super CO Powers, and attack again. The new thing to this game is the brand new Tag system for fighting, where you pick two different COs to fight with, and you get to switch to one or the other at any time in the battle, and then unleash a Tag Power, where both COs take their turns, and use their Super CO Powers to unleash a large amount of hurt on the opposing side. But the trick is that the opponent can also do this as well, so you have to use a bit of strategy when playing the game.

The game uses sprites, which I have no problem with, the game's graphics were never the games strongpoint, but they were made for this game, and I don't see the game without those little Infantry guys running around hitting those giant Md Tanks and doing about 1hp worth of damage.

Sound/Music: 10/10
All the old characters from the previous game's music has been brought to this game, and the music is quite catchy. The new characters music is true to the old style, and sounds pretty good, with Sasha's theme sounding like something from Zelda, and Javier's theme sounding like something from Final Fantasy Tactics. The music is pretty strong here and you will be humming Grit's theme all over again.

Replay Value: 10/10
If you were a fan of the GBA version Advance Wars, this game will keep you up at night for a very long time, there is so much to do in this game, from getting all the medals, to getting the secret costumes for all the different COs. You will not be putting you DS down for a good long time. And if it wasn't for this review that I'm writing, I would be playing it right now.

This is the kind of game where you would be buying the system for, or at least in my opinion. People who are fans of the GBA version will have already picked this game up already, so why haven't you? Stop reading the review right now and pick the game up now, buy it, and play it for a very long, long time.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/06/05