Review by Otacon001

"When life hands you fruit, throw them at Yoshi!"

I approached "Yoshi Touch & Go" with many emotions, expectations, and questions. At this point in my DS experience, I was simply looking for a game with remote entertainment involved, since the DS launch line-up (and many of the post-launch titles) weren't so great or entertaining. Having owned this game for over 72 hours, and having played it a good fraction of that time, I find it safe to say that Nintendo has created what is considered to me as the first worthy game for the DS's library, next to Super Mario 64 DS and WarioWare: Touched.

Let's get this out of the way quickly: this game is for patient gamers. You will not be satisfied with this game from the minute you first play it. You may want to return the game a few times. You might even want to damage your DS severely. This game takes practice to get good at, but once you are fluid with its controls, you'll find that the game's expectations instantly take priority over your own.

A wonderful rebirth of the 2D era! I am reminded of the good old days of "Yoshi's Island" and "Yoshi's Story" when playing this game. Yeah. That sums up this game's visuals in a few words.

Nothing too impressive here. All of Nintendo's early stuff like this pretty much sounds the same. That's good though, because you'll need all the concentration you can get when trying to play this game.

The game is split into four modes, excluding VS. Mode: "Score Attack," "Marathon," "Time Attack," and "Challenge." When you select a game mode, you will be given one of a few pre-designed levels which are chosen at random (this does not mean the levels are random each time, it simply means they are chosen at random). Each game mode is separated into two parts, "Sky" and "Ground." During "Sky," you must guide Baby Mario safely to the ground as he falls helplessly through a vertical-scrolling 2D system. Help him successfully reach the ground by drawing clouds with your stylus to prevent him from encountering enemies. If he is hit by enemies three times, he will fall to his doom, and that means Game Over. In addition to protecting him from enemies, you must earn points by collecting Coins. Turn enemies into coins by encircling them in clouds with your stylus, then throw them at Baby Mario, or you can simply pick off coins and avoid enemies. You will need to master both to get the top score. Once Baby Mario successfully reaches the ground, he is saved by Yoshi, who then guides him into the "Ground" stage of that level, a classic horizontal 2D side-scroller. In this part of the level, Yoshi must guide Baby Mario to the end of the stage. Yoshi's controls are almost identical to Baby Mario's during the "Sky" section: draw clouds with the stylus, encircle enemies, etc. Also, the external microphone is active in this game. You can blow into the microphone to make a gust of wind appear to blow clouds away if you need it. This can come in handy.

I'm not going to get into the gameplay too much, because I believe this spoils the game. The real gem about the gameplay is this: NO BUTTONS ARE USED. It's all about the stylus, the touch screen, and the external microphone, which really makes you feel like you are living the "revolution" that Nintendo promised with the DS's launch.

There is still a lot I have not mentioned as far as basic controls, abilities, and level layout is concerned, but like I said, an unfortunate habit with review writers is to spoil the entire game for you. Besides, with this game, you have to see it to believe it.

The game's sweet spot. Even after you clear all the high scores, you will still be addicted to this game. People who expect an adventure game like "Yoshi's Story," however, will be disappointed. This is strictly a "High Score" game, and reminds me of younger days in the arcade. This game will not be a regrettable purchase, and in my opinion, is a more worthy buy than the recent "WarioWare: Touched."

In conclusion, I really wish this was one of the DS's launch games. This game shows off the DS's touch screen functions in superior fashion, and in a manner that is well worth the $34.99 price tag. I will probably never give a game or a console a perfect "10/10" score, but I believe that "Yoshi Touch & Go" is indeed worthy of an "8/10," and stands proudly alongside the Nintendo DS and its future library.

Reviewer's Rating:   4.0 - Great

Originally Posted: 03/29/05

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.