Review by Evan1109

"A well-needed throwback to Yoshi's Island and classic puzzle games"

This is coming from a huge fan of of the original Yoshi's Island game from the Super Nintendo, which was really the only reason I bought this game in the first place. What I ended up getting was a great, addicting puzzle game that, while using a new concept, what with the touch screen and all, will be quite a throwback for people who love classic arcade games, you know, before arcades became infested with nothing but DDR and tons of racing games. (Nothing against either of those, but when that's all arcades really have to offer nowdays, something's wrong.)

Graphics -- 10/10
The graphics are sprites, but they're pretty snazzy anyways. They're all shaded in to make them look very nice. The character movement flows nicely with their animations.

Sound -- 8/10
Nothing really new here, 90% of the music is remixed from Yoshi's Island. The sound is pretty "crisp", though, and sounds great.

Gameplay -- 10/10
It's simple enough. There are two parts to every mode: one half you must guide Baby Mario to the ground by drawing clouds and turning enemies, the other, typically longer half, you must use Yoshi and guide him over gaps in the ground with clouds. Depending on your performance, you can get different colored Yoshis, each of which have different amounts of eggs the can carry and go faster. There's different modes, such as the annoying as heck Challenge Mode, which puts you on the clock for 100 seconds, but the clock can be refilled with more points. If you run out of time, Kamek (One of my favorite Mario baddies) will appear and kill you. Marathon mode puts you on an endless trek through Yoshi's Island to see how far you can get without dying.. Score Attack makes you have to get as many points as possibly within 2000 yards (1000 with Baby Mario and the other half with Yoshi). There's also Time Attack, but I haven't gotten that mode yet.

As simple as it may seem, it's quite addicting, and due to it's difficulty I can see it lasting me a while. Also, another feature I like is the Pictochat Search: It'll find if someone's in Pictochat and alert you. Sure, the normal range may be horrible, but it hightens the chance of finding someone a lot.

Anywho, I'm quite satisfied with the game, and although it's the first game I've reviewed to get less than a 10, (OH NOES) I think this game is satisfactory.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/23/05