Review by chrism902000

"Despite what the pros think, Rayman DS is one of my favorite platformers of all time."

With so many great games coming in to the video game market, it is not unusual to be very speculative about whether or not you want to spend your money on a certain game. That's why we have reviews.

If you have thought about buying this game, then you probably have seen that some of the professional reviewers have given Rayman DS a low score.

Well, I suppose everyone can have their own opinions about things. Thats all fine and well. But after seeing how bad most "professionals" thought Rayman DS was, you would probably think that it really is a terrible game. But in my opinion, I think that this is one of the best platformers of all time.

I know, it sounds crazy. Maybe I am just a stupid, ignorant Rayman fanboy afraid to accept that a Rayman game is bad. But to tell you the truth, I have only played two of the many Rayman games in my life (including this one) and the one before it was the side scrolling PS1 version of Rayman (which I did not enjoy so much)

So lets get down to business- I hope that this review can help you decide whether or not Rayman DS is right for you.

Storyline

Rayman's storyline is actually pretty good compared to most other platformers. Here is a quick summary- Rayman's world is being taken over by a pirate named Razorbeard and his henchmen. They have shattered the Heart of the world, and its pieces have scattered all over the world in the form of Yellow Lums (little firefly looking things with wings). Rayman's job is to get all of the Yellow Lums back and revive Polokus (i think thats his name), a powerful God that could get rid of the pirates for good.

Lots of things happen along the way. You get to meet lots of Rayman's friends, including this toad like creature named Globox, and Clark, the big pile of muscle. There are others on the quest too.

Overall, the story is not along the lines of final fantasy, but it is enjoyable, thanks to some nice supporting characters.

Final Rating: 8/10

Graphics

Here is one aspect of the game that many reviewers have critiscised. Their main complaint is that the graphics are dark. I am still scratching my head at this one. Sure, in caves its dark, but isnt it supposed to be? Everything looks perfectly bright and easy to see at almost all times. I probably will never understand what they mean by "dark graphics."

Other than that, the graphics are like something you would expect to see on the N 64 (considering that this game is an N64 port, that is pretty obvious). They probably aren't as good as Super Mario DS, but they certaintly arent bad.

Characters are nicely detailed and actions are smooth. Not much else to say except that they would be much more impressive if it weren't for the PSP's awesome graphics (Oh well, I will take this game over what the PSP has right now anyway).

Final Rating: 8/10

Gameplay

For most gamers, Gameplay is what matters most. It's the same for me, and I have to say, Rayman does not dissapoint. Throughout the game, Rayman will travel throughout his world through about 20 stages (double if you unlock all bonus stages) searching for the lums and masks to revive Plokus.

Anyway, Rayman is your standard 3D platformer. You lead your character through a huge 3d level, fighting bad guys and all that good stuff. Rayman has some cool moves, too. Your main method of attack will be shooting orbs of power at enemies. You can also hover while you jump.

For anyone who loves lots of things to collect in a game, Rayman is for you. There are about 1000 lums in the game, all scattered throughout stages just waiting to be found. They take a long time to find in some cases, but they are usually always fun to search for.

One thing that is worth mentioning is that Rayman DS has lots of innovations that happen every level to keep the gaming fresh and new. Instead of just exploring every level on foot, there may be some parts where Rayman will have to ride on shells (little rocket/horse things that go really fast) to get from point A to point B. There are lots of other things that happen (like Rayman can fly through one of the levels) but most of them are better to see if it is a surprise.

Final Score: 10/10

Control.

Perhaps the biggest complaint among pro reviewers is the control. They say that using the DS's D-Pad to control is awkward, and so is the touch screen analog stick. I, however, disagree. I guarentee you I never felt as if these controls were bad. Sure, they were a little strange in the beginning, but after beating one or two levels I had no problems at all. Makes me wonder if reviewers actually play through the game.

I prefer to use the D Pad to move my character, but the touch screen works just as well.

As far as jumping and stuff like that goes, its easy. Just hit A and B. The camera is easily controlled with the R button at most times.
No huge problems here.

Sound

Sadly, the sound was my least favorite part of the game. I never got into the music and most of the time it seemed like the music was non existant. Sound effects are nice and crisp, though, and who can resist the Rayman Jibber-Jabber voice overs?

Replay Value

Replay Value is always nice to have. Rayman DS is a fairly legnthy game, taking about 10 to 15 hours to complete. It will take more if you want to get every lum, and every other hidden item.

This game is lots of fun, so you probably will want to replay it after a while. If you are a prefectionist, you will keep playing this over and over trying to get the perfect rating.

Final Score: 9/10

Thats just my opinion on Rayman DS. Sure, the pro's may disagree, but that doesnt stop me from liking this game, and it shouldn't stop you from trying it either.

Pros
-Excellent gameplay
-Decent Graphics
-Replayable
-Good control once you get used to it

Cons
-Music is not the greatest

Overall Final Score: 9/10