Review by XxThunderxX

"My first Final Fantasy game and I'm impressed!"

My review for the first Final Fantasy game I ever played. (I'm telling the truth)

Story:
A young orphan boy from the village of Ur named Luneth falls into a hole created by an earthquake and finds himself in a cave full of monsters. After battling through them, he find a talking crystal that tells him he is destined to restore light to the land along with 3 other orphans he will meet on his journey.
Typical story, no? Quite overused in RPG and adventure games, and it draws many parallels to the story of Golden Sun. In fact, many elements in this game are like Golden Sun's and I'll get to that later. However one can not dismiss a story just because it may have been used before, I find the story quite engrossing as more characters are introduced and hopefully it'll just get better and better.

Graphics:
Final Fantasy III pushes the DS 3D graphics to its limits with the extraordinary intro cinematic (made by the same company that did the Metroid Prime Hunters videos). Graphics during gameplay are also incredible, you can see every bit of detail whether you're wandering around or battling monsters. As you changed the jobs of your characters, their clothes change as well, and whenever they appear in a cut-scene, you can easily tell what job they are by their clothing. That may seem unimportant but you'll be surprised at how many games don't bother to include such fine details. When you battle, every weapon has it's own graphic, and the hardcore gamer will be able to immediately distinguish what weapon the character is holding. However, armor can not be distinguishable since the only clothes are set for the jobs. There are many monsters in the game that are just palette swaps of previously encountered enemies, but otherwise the monster graphics themselves are amazingly detailed and realistic since they're in 3D.

Gameplay:
Final Fantasy III does not differ from other RPG games, you move your character around towns and the world map through a semi-birds eye view to complete your quest. Monsters do get in the way though and you battling with them is strategic rather than real-time. For example, in games like Mario and Luigi, you must press a certain button right when the character attacks the enemy to do more damage, that does not exist in FF3. You get choices when you battle: Attack with your basic weapon, use magic or your jobs' skill, attempt to flee, use an item, switch equipment, defend, or move forward or back (forward does more damage but takes more damage, backward is vice versa). This may seem boring to some people, but with over 20 jobs and 48 different magic spells, the possibilities of battle strategies are endless.

Music:
The music in this game is composed by Nobuo Uematsu, who also did the music for many other Final Fantasy games and various other SquareEnix games. I haven't gotten to the end of the game yet so I do not know how the music will differ, but from what I've heard already is excellent, especially the music for the World Map. The music changes according to the mood, if you're in a dungeon filled with bones, the music is ominous, as compared to being in a jolly green village.

Control:
I'm surprised at how easy it is to adjust to the controls in this game. Everything in the game can be done with the touch screen or control pad, you never will need both at once. It is also very easy to switch between the two, it's hard to forget the control setup for this game.

Multiplayer:
Sadly there really isn't any multiplayer in this game except for sending letters to friends wireless or WiFi and unlocking side quests.

Overall:
I'd give this a 10/10 for being a great RPG and also reminding me of the fun I had when playing Golden Sun for the GBA.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/21/06