Review by dragoon6181

"A Fantastic Fantasy Game"

Introduction
Final Fantasy III is an enhanced remake of the Japan-only 1990 Nintendo Famicom RPG of the same name for the Nintendo Entertainment System by Square Enix. This is the only version of Final Fantasy III to have been released in North America and the rest of the world. It is also the first Final Fantasy game released for the Nintendo DS. The layout of the dungeons and towns are closely similar to the original version. The 4 main playable characters now have names: Luneth, Arc, Refia, and Ingus. The characters were given new personalities and background stories. However, the main storyline is not much of a difference from the original version. I have played quite a few Final Fantasy games before and I became a great fan of it, but this game is one of the best Final fantasy games I have ever played.

Graphics - 10/10
When I first turned on my game and began to play, I watched the full motion video opening scene; I was totally amazed by the graphics. The scene was entirely in 3-D, and so is the whole game. Unlike the other Final Fantasy remakes, like Final Fantasy I, Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy IV, or Final Fantasy V, this game has been made completely 3-D with the Nintendo DS's 3-D capabilities. The graphics compare to or is even better than all of the other DS games in my opinion. But once you are playing the actually game, the graphics are less detailed and the characters are sizes like kids. The cut scenes do not have the same graphical quality as the opening scene. The environment is well detailed, the character's jobs are all unique and so are the weapons and armor. The overall graphics of the game are still outstanding and one of the best on the DS and deserves a perfect 10/10.

Story Plot - 8/10
The story begins with the main character, Luneth, falling into a hole after an earthquake that struck. Later, he finds out that he and three other orphans are the three Warriors of Light destined to restore light to the land and save it from eternal darkness that threatens to engulf it. You might think that it is a very basic story, but I still think that it is enjoyable. Each of the characters also has their own back story. Overall, I give the story plot an 8/10.

Gameplay - 9/10
The game retains the game play of the original Famicom version, which is similar to the other turn-based Final Fantasy games. The battle system uses the classic turn-based system where the characters and enemies take turns doing their actions, (unless it's guard or rear) depending on heir agility. Sometimes, a Non-Playable Character comes along and will do actions at random times to help you out. The job system is the same from the original version. You change jobs at any time you want (even between combat) and earn job levels for it. There are 23 unique jobs. That brings a high number of party variations for you to create the party you desire. Each job has its own attributes and a specific action. For example, a Black Mage could use the action Black Magic which requires MP, while a Thief can use the action steal. A Black Mage might have less HP but higher intellect, while the Thief might have more HP but lower intellect. There are random encounters with enemies on the world map, dungeons, and other certain areas. The world map and town were well made. I was actually a little disappointed with the Wi-Fi of the game. All you do is send and receive messages over the Mognet to earn side quests or the job, Onion Knight. But a game having Wi-Fi capabilities is better than one that does not even have any. Overall, for the game play, I say that it deserves a 9/10.

Music / Sound - 10/10
The music of the game fits perfectly with the areas it corresponds with. Some of the music is repetitive, but it will not get annoying. I really enjoy t music throughout the game. My personal favorite will be the one from the opening scene. The quality of the music and sound is excellent. The sound effects fit with the music a lot as well. For the music and sound, overall, it deserves a 10/10.

Controls - 9/10
This game can use the DS's touch screen feature. It can be used throughout the whole game to control your character or tap on the object or button to be used like the "A" button on the DS. Using the touch screen is optional, so I recommend using the regular controls. It is much easier that way in my opinion. But I use the stylus when I get lazy and lay down my DS instead of holding it. Getting used to the stylus is just as easy to use as using the regular controls. Therefore, I give the overall score for the controls a 9/10.

Replay Value - 7/10
This game has some replay value, that is, until you have unlocked and accomplished all of the side quests. That will probably last you a couple more hours. After completing the side quests, you probably won't want to start all over again. Or you can just continue and max out all of the job levels or get maximum stats and regular levels if you desire. I am not the type of person to do that but probably you will if you are really bored. I think that the replay value should only have a 7/10.

Overall - 9/10
I say that Final Fantasy III is a game worth getting, especially if you are a big Final Fantasy fanatic like me. If you have a DS, you should give this game a try. Trust me, you will be playing this game for hours non-stop. If you do not, then you probably are not much of an RPG gamer.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/07/07