Review by Blood_Nights

"A work of art, or just another boring RPG?"

For a DS game, this one was one of the best so far that I've had. It was a great game, well set up, no glitches (that I know of), and very entertaining.

Game Play

Game Play was simple, as any RPG should be. Pretty much, you walk around on this little map to complete a couple of quests, then, BOOM! Watching a good old cut scene of your characters fighting about where to go. This gave each of the main characters more of a distinct personality, as if they all were actually real. Well, at first, I was quite disappointed being stuck on this little world map... Until about 1/3 of the way through the game where I then learned, you weren't in the world map! You were on a little, tiny floating island in the middle of a massive world about 7 times larger! This really made me happy when I came to find myself in a much larger world with many more enemies to fight and level up against.

Like many other FF games that I've seen, it had a job system. It worked very well and made the game very interesting. What do you want to train your team as? Well, you could go with a group of Ninja, or maybe, a squad of Dragoons on a quest to cleanse the land. This was one of the best features of the game.

The battle system was slightly blah, though. It was simple, and you couldn't do much. You got a couple of options such as attack Attack or Item, but, each Job had pretty much the same set up. You attack or use your special ability, dealing outrageous amounts of damage to an under powered monster.

Sound

The music was great. I could listen to it for hours without getting bored with it. The sound effects were alright, they went where they were supposed to, but didn't sound all that original. A sword slash here, a random sound there. You know what I'm talking about. You all know how RPG's are, though, they seem to have the same effects in all of them.

Graphics

A pleasure to the eyes as it was to the ears. The graphics were amazing for a DS game. Cute little Chibi characters running around and fighting, what more could you ask for in an RPG? Not much from my standards. They were well detailed for such a small scale and very well colored.

Story

The story was great. You got to know the characters and some special characters that decided to tag along, but many times, losing the special characters when you really start to get to like them. There were certain cases where the special character died a very sad way, such as killed by a monster.

The story, itself, I could tell was very well thought out. There was many details to it and not many flaws. It was always consistent and you could always figure out what to do.

The only reason I gave this an eight out of ten instead of a ten out of ten was the horrible on line. I was expecting something that either you could fight another player or adventure around with them. Instead, you get a crappy little email system that you need a friends code in order to use. Not much fun sending a message that was very limited to space. I'm not even sure if you could put in your own words because I never used it due to the lack of living in a large city with people that had DS' and having wireless Internet. The only advantage to this was unlocking a secret dungeon and a secret Job. Nothing else was there to do.

So concludes this dandy little review. My final verdict upon this game: 8/10. It was a great game, neigh, a masterpiece, damaged by a lack of actual on line Play. This game will be one of my favorite games of all time. I highly suggest that you go and pick this game up. Its easy to learn, fun to play, and, by the end, leave you wanting to play through one more time to see what you missed.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/17/07

Game Release: Final Fantasy III (US, 11/14/06)