Review by MajorFalcon71

"A Happy Return to the Days of Adventuring Past"

What can I say? I'm a sucker for a good old fashioned adventure game.
This game brings back fond memories of traipsing thru the various worlds of Space Quest, Daventry, and Myst Island trying to find every last detail of the storyline and getting the best ending possible. (If you don't know what game Daventry is from, you ain't old-school enough.)

I think Sierra and LucasArts could learn a thing or two from this game and think of a way to bring back adventure games to the forefront. To believe that the adventure game genre is dead is to die alittle on the inside yourself.

The various puzzles in this game make full use (or at least make use of most of) the DS's capabilities. It would have been nice to see perhaps a little bit of voice recognition thrown in, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see what might happen with a possible sequel.

Overall, the game comes across as a merger between Myst and old-school adventure games like Space Quest and King's Quest (see above for reference) with a beautiful story and wonderful, yet slow to type, dialogue as well as fantastic visuals that look better than even Riven's.

In my humble opinion, the game goes beyond being the "Myst clones" that most of us adventure gamers are sadly stuck with these days. I mean some of them are great, don't get me wrong, they just almost all play out in the same way. This game shows that the developers can be capable of breathing, no pun intended, new life back into the adventure game by thinking outside of their normal ways and utilizing new technologies to the fullest, just like Sierra did back in the old days. (Just to let most of you know, Myst wasn't the first adventure game to utilize the CD-ROM, it was King's Quest V from Sierra, as well as the first game ever to have voice-overs, CD-ROM version only of course. Just as King's Quest IV was the first ever game to support ad-lib sound cards. Need I go on about how Sierra broke the boundaries before everyone else?)

However, my one regret is the short playtime allowed by this great game. If it had been longer, I would have rated it a point higher.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/06