Review by Mario_God

"DS= Sucsess"

When I first heard that Nintendo was planning to release a new handheld system , I first thought that it was going to be another GBA with lame 2-D graphics, not to say that 2-d games are bad, but it's 2005 and I would have thought GBA would have 3-D graphics. But anyway, back to the DS. When I got a more in depth preview from Nintendo Power, I found it to be 25 times greater than I expected. I then could not wait. The school days were long and tiring, but I got through them. Though I did not get it on November 21st, I received my DS on the 5th night of Hanukah and on the 6th night, I got Super Mario 64 DS. I opened my DS and played Mario DS and I was amazed. Now if you are STILL reading this, I will give the review.

Controls: The controls for DS are extremely hard to get used to because for me, I am used to the Analog Stick for 3-D games. It takes some time to get used to it which for me was two to three days. It will be even harder to use the stylus for the touch screen, which I will cover briefly. The control style is the same as the regular GBA except that now DS has an X and Y button making the gaming world more advanced. In overall, I believe that the controls are very well designed.

Touch Screen: I told you I would go over the touch screen, well here it goes. With Mario DS, I don't use it that much, because I believe that the stylus is used for left-handed people, because I tried it and it did not go too well, accounting that I am a righty. That's for Mario DS though. For other games, I believe its easier to use for other games, like Madden 2005 or Urbz: Sims in the city. The touch screen has other uses like in Feel the Magic. I don't have it, but my friend told me some info like you can blow onto the screen. I will say this for people who don't know what an LCD screen is. An LCD screen is what makes the touch screen feature interactive and useful, but it is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE. Don't use your fingers or thumbs because one, you get your fingerprints on there and it sucks and two, if you put too much pressure on the screen, it will break and it will not be able to do what it is needed to do. So don't break the touch screen. In overall, the touch screen is awesome. Okay, I guess that wasn't so brief if anybody is still reading this.

Graphics: The graphics are phenomenal! This is what made DS so successful. The data size of Mario 64 for N64 was 1 gigabyte, in other words, HUGE! Now, 9 years later to today from the release of Super Mario 64 in 1996, the recreated Mario 64 came out with enhanced features for example, enhanced graphics and resolution, better sound quality, and the expansion with new characters, new modes, and new courses with new objects making it over 1.5 gigabytes! The best thing is that this is just the START of DS and they still haven't given it all. In overall, the graphics are something you must take into consideration.

Games: There are not a lot of games out, but even PS2 didn't have a lot of games when it first came out. But this is DS, so back to DS! Yay! Though there are not too many games out, the quality of the games are awesome. Some good games are Madden 2005, Metroid, Feel the Magic, and of course, Super Mario 64 DS. The games so far are awesome and will only get better. I also think that the game play is awesome and will get better.

Special Features: Backwards Compatible w/ GBA games and wireless communication.

Compared to Sony's PSP: I like both Sony and Nintendo, but I favor Nintendo more than Sony. The PSP and DS I believe are both equal and are both something you should buy. The only thing different is the features. The PSP something called a universal media disc (UMD) which plays DVD's, and other stuff, and PSP is backwards compatible with PS2 games. Otherwise I think they are both great and I would buy PSP but I'm not good with money, making it impossible to buy it.

Overall: Two repeated words: BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/13/05