Review by emeraldleg34

"An RPG about Farming? Wha?"

Summary:
When someone first told me about the Harvest Moon series, I was extremely skeptical. I never even played one, until one day, I was looking for a DS game to add to my ever-growing collection, and I happened to see this game. So I pre-ordered it, and 5 months later, took it home. Now, I have never played any of the other Harvest Moon games, so I didn't know what to expect... But I certainly didn't expect it to hook me like it did. Before I knew it, I had been planting/harvesting crops, fighting vicious farm animals in dungeons, gathering material, digging for treasures, and searching for harvest sprites for over 4 hours. And after all the time I've played, I still feel as if I have only scratched the surface of this amazing game.

The graphics don't push the DS to it's limits... Far from it really. I would expect to see these graphics on a GBA game... But, the cute sprites and vibrant colors are very fitting for the mood of the game, and that is what really counts. Nothing to fancy, but fitting.

I enjoy the music and sound effects. They aren't annoying, and the tunes don't get tedious. I always keep the sound on. =P

The gameplay itself is definitely worth a 10 in this category, but I have heard numerous reports of glitches that set people back several seasons, give people millions of gold, etc... I myself haven't experienced these glitches, but they exist nonetheless. The gameplay is addicting, and running around picking crops, chopping stumps, and breaking rocks never seems to get old. Also, the instruction booklet gives almost no useful information whatsoever, and does not explain things such as the seemingly useless level system, or the stamina/fatigue system. If you like figuring games out by yourself though, this game couldn't be better.

An excellent game overall, and the first DS game to actually have me hooked for more than a few days. I expect to be playing this one for a long while...

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 09/22/06