Review by nmlynch2004

"The best Harvest Moon I've played since Harvest Moon 64!"

Let me begin this review by stating that the only game in this series that I had any extensive time with before this one is Harvest Moon 64. So if you played that one, and have been disappointed with the other Harvest Moon games since (as I have been), then this is the review for you.

Graphics 8/10
The graphics are pretty good. It can be difficult to determine what item is which in your rucksack, but that is a small complaint. Other than that, the graphics are fine for this game.

Sound 7/10
The music is good in this game, but like in all Harvest Moon games, it gets repetitive. The same music plays all season (when it isn't raining), and this gets annoying after about 10 game days of it.

Story 8/10
An odd story, involving the disappearance of the Harvest Goddess and her Harvest Sprites. You are tasked to bring them back. But as in other Harvest Moon games, you are allowed to get married and have a kid. This works great in this game, and you may choose from 9 women to marry (that I know of). You may also marry one of the five women from Mineral Town, but if you do, your game ends.

Control 8/10
You can use your stylus to move items around in your rucksack, which is a very handy way to easily organize them. One minor complaint is that it can be difficult to figure out how to separate items of the same type in your rucksack.

Gameplay 9/10
If you've played other Harvest Moon games before, then I need not tell you about the farming, other than it works perfectly, just as in other Harvest Moon games. They also included a function that lets you "level-up" your seeds which is new to me. It is nice, because if you level up your seeds, then plant them, then they will be worth more money when you sell them. There is also a Harvest Sprite casino, with three games: Poker, Blackjack, and Memory. The games are played just as you would want them to, and if you when enough credits, you can get cool items (most of which are very, very, very useful.) The casino is set up well and fun to play, too. You can also upgrade your house, and get all sorts of animals, and enter the animals in contests. The amount of content in this game is AMAZING. Much more to do here than in Harvest Moon 64. Oh, and one last thing: DO NOT LITTER! It brings down love scores for the ladies and friend scores down for everyone else in the town. Picking weeds and throwing them away counts as littering, as I learned the hard way. The only safe way to do this is to throw the weeds away at your farm, which can be annoying.

Replay Value: 10/10
Not only is there a ton to do in this game, it will take you hours and hours and hours to find everything. And to really get everything, you will have to do multiple playthroughs to get different wives and such. The fact that you start out with a house, shipping bin, horse stable, and nothing else, makes the game longer too. You must save up a lot of money and resources to build a chicken coop, or cow barn, etc. Some people may not enjoy this, but I did. There are a ton of Harvest Sprites to find (100), and it will take a while to get them all.

If I could give fractions, this game would've got an 8.5. Just some minor control and sound complaints keep this from getting a higher score. Many people have mentioned problems with glitches, and I have had the game freeze once - other than that, it has been fine. As far as the comparison to Harvest Moon 64, it goes as follows: this game is different than the 64 version, but improves on it in many ways. Don't get this game expecting it to be the same as the 64 version, but know that it is the best Harvest Moon game I've played since that version.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/02/06