Review by ebonynights

"Much better than I expected, glitches do NOT hinder gameplay."

Let me start out by saying that the last Harvest Moon I played was FoMT. I, along with many others, enjoyed this game thoroughly because of the interpersonal connection you had with the numerous villagers of Mineral Town, and I felt that the DS version of this game would have a hard time trumping it. I know now that I was wrong.

I want to address a few issues right off the bat about this game. Many people say that the glitches ruin the game, or at least hinder your enjoyment of it. This is not true, at least by my and many other's experience. I'm in my second year, and I've only frozen once. I've never had my game file deleted, although I have exploited the Billion G Glitch. If you're on the border with this game, don't be. If you've enjoyed the Harvest Moons before this, you are SURE to enjoy this one. Improvements from FoMT are evident as well. One feature is the expanded Rucksack, which I'm sure veterans players will cheer for. Items do stack, and instead of the dinky 3-item Rucksack you begin with, you start off with 18 slots with stackable slots. Believe me when I say that this is one of the best Harvest Moons out on the market.

Not really much to say about this, really they're about the same as FoMT's. Simple and clean, although it's not in 3-D, the graphics suit the game perfectly although I feel they could've dressed it up slightly.

Quite honestly, I am disappointed in the sound of every Harvest Moon game simply because it's just too repetitive. This game's sound was slightly better, however it still gets annoying at times. If you're a first time player, you may enjoy the sound simply because of the soothing quality.

There's not much to say about this other than amazing. Harvest Moon games all share a quality that makes them ridiculously addictive. I will say this: even if you think that an RPG based on Farming is dumb, think again. This game will never leave you bored because there's just so much to do. Even if you think you've done it all, think again. Farming is the game's premise, but you can go in any direction you choose. The professions may seem somewhat limited; however there are various ways to make a living if Farming isn't your cup of tea. Overall, this game's gameplay never ceases to amaze me. As aforementioned, glitches do not hinder gameplay too much, so I think it's fair to say this game deserves the perfect rating. I think the best part about HM:DS is the fact that it's unlimited. If you want to slack off for a year and save up your crops, you can. That's not to say that certain actions won't lead to severe consequences, however, it is your life. You govern it as you wish.

The gameplay of this game overshadows that of any other game, guaranteed. Whether you're a veteran or just trying something you, you are sure to fall in love with this game. Graphics may not be great, but they suit the game. Sound can get repetitive, but if you don't like them, crank up your iPod and turn your speakers off.

Rent or Buy? Buy, for sure.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/13/06