Review by samuellee60

"Same old, same old..."

First, let me start off by saying that I am a die-hard Harvest Moon fan. I was ecstatic when the Harvest Moon DS game finally came out, as I had been patiently awaiting its release. Turns out I could have been waiting for something better.
Now don't get me wrong, I love me some Harvest Moon. I've been through the good (Harvest Moon 64, HM:FoMT) and the bad (HM:AWL). It almost seems as if so much more could have been done to the "little" things that bring this game down.
I'm certainly not going to bash this game, but I'm not going to sit here and talk about everything good either. I'm going to bring out points from both sides.

Music 6/10
Music and sound are pretty much what we expected as well. This area has never been a strong point for Harvest Moon games, and there's nothing wrong with that. I play to have fun, not to listen to the rain.

Graphics 6/10
Same old, same old. You've seen them before. Harvest Moon brings back the almost 2d graphics, and they do a decent job. However, It almost seems as if they might be a little hazy, or indistinct. It also seems as if a whole lot more could have been done to the characters. They seem so bland on the screen.. Of course, you can't really expect a whole lot on a portable console. Not many improvements here.

Gameplay 9/10
Gameplay is as always, where Harvest Moon shines. You can make a living off farming. Or maybe, you might want to own a cattle ranch. Who knows? Maybe you could be a miner, or forage for everything, free of possessions. Why not get Married? Have a son? Go to all the festivals, and play with your prized dog or cat. The gameplay is everything it should have been, and like always, brought up everything that had pulled it down. There are also soom fun new touch-screen mini-games.

Replayability 6/10
Gameplay is great, but honestly, this just feels like more of what we've been doing for the past 6 years in Harvest Moon. For some reason, it just felt like there wasn't much new. However, like the old Harvest Moon's, there is so much to do. So if you get into this, it could be a while before you put it down.

Pros
Great Replayibility
Fun Touch Screen Mini Games
Non-Linear Gameplay

Cons
Hazy, Indistinct Graphics
Poor Character Animation
Lots of Glitches
Too much of the old

This could have been so much more, but it almost seemed as if NATSUME quit to early on this.

Overall 6/10