Review by LinkedDS

"Splinter Cell DS is Splinter Cell! Minus the fun!"

First off, let me say that I have never played any other Splinter Cell game. So when I heard about it coming to the DS, I was very excited about it. Unfortunately, it didn't hold up to my expectations. Splinter Cell is everything you would want from a handheld game, but the glitches, framerate problems, and presentation really are sub-par.

Story 8/10
I'm not gonna get to much into it, but it starts out as a famous scientist gets kidnapped by a bunch of thugs. However, things get much bigger as you play through the game. It is a simple plot from what feels like a spy movie.

Graphics 4/10
Still images of Splinter Cell are great. Seeing the game in action is horrible. The graphics are pretty good for what the DS can do. But there are framerate problems galore. This thing might move at 15 or 16 fps most of the time. Not very good.

Sound 7/10
The sound in Splinter Cell is average game sound. Nothing you'll want to listen to over and over, but it isn't annoying or anything. The sound effects, however, are not very good. It sounds as though there is a guy in a booth making all of the sound effects with his mouth. Not horrible, but not great, either. No voice acting either, BTW.

Controls 2/10
The controls of this game are absolutely the worst controls I have ever seen. Every single interaction is made with one button (Y) and you'll find yourself constantly switching between the stylus and the face buttons. For instance, if you are trying to sneak up on a guard, you need to use the Y button to grab him. However, if he sees you, you'll have to press the R button, pull out the stylus, and use a non-responsive touch screen to try and aim and shoot with the L button. By the time you do all of that, the general alarm has been activated or you're dead. And sneaking by you're enemies isn't an option, either, thanks to the level design. And the camera sucks too. The camera angles are reversed, so when you touch the non-responsive touch screen to the left, the camera goes to the right. There is an option to reverse this, but it also reverses the touch screen gun aiming, which is even worse. The camera also constantly goes into walls, and there is no button you can press to center the camera. Completely awful.

Multiplayer
I have to admit, I haven't played multiplayer since there is no one I know who owns a DS. But from what I here, it suffers from the same problems that claim the single player campaign.

Replayability 5/10
This game has almost no replayability. There is nothing to unlock, no hard mode, no minigames, no nothing. The only way you will play this game again is if you're crazy or extremely bored.

Overall 5/10
Splinter Cell's first take on the DS really stinks. The horrible controls and framerate issues are what really kills you. There was fantastic potential for this game. This game could've set the standard for DS games everywhere. But the game is so broken that many people are calling it the worst on the DS. Do us a favor. Don't waste your money on this garbage.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 07/11/05