Review by ElektrykEye

"Great game if you don't mind glitches"

Zoo Tycoon is a sim in which the player creates and manages a zoo. The game has scenarios with different difficulties and goals that must be met in order to complete the scenario. Players also have the option of playing in freeform mode without any preset goals. There is also a tutorial that will teach you how to play the game.

At first, I really enjoyed playing the game. Building exhibits and unlocking animals, etc. was fun. However, not too far into gameplay, I found multiple glitches that ended up ruining the game for me.

Some glitches are minor and involve animal happiness or messages saying that the animal can't find food. Those glitches can be worked around by picking up the animal and placing it back into the exhibit. However, the glitch that ruined the game for me was the freezing glitch. I would be in the middle of a scenario and the game would freeze. Sometimes I had to redo a scenario several times in order to complete it because of this glitch. Eventually, I got tired of restarting. To me, this is a fatal flaw in gameplay.

Also, there are touch screen issues that make it a little bit frustrating to build exhibits. Sometimes you have to touch an item several times before the screen recognizes your choice. Other times, it seems overly sensitive. For instance, sometimes when changing the type of grass in an exhibit, it would change without me touching on a new type of grass. I know that this is not a problem with my touch screen because other people have complained of the same problem.

Lastly, there's only 1 save file.

The graphics aren't too bad and they're not great. For the DS, I found them to be acceptable.

No music, but you can hear the animals. I kept the sound turned off while playing.

I enjoyed playing Zoo Tycoon until the glitches really began getting in the way of gameplay. If you are extremely patient and love 'tycoon' sims, then you'll probably enjoy this game. Otherwise, you may want to skip this one.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 10/24/05