Review by Luke_the_Duke15

"Probably the worst Spyro game out there."

I've been a huge fan of Spyro for a long time. When I heard about this game I was really excited. I knew it wasn't going to be like the previous games, but I still gave it a try. I was thoroughly disappointed.

Story 2/10: This is the most uninspired story I have ever seen. You are a small dragon named Spyro. The world gets plunged into darkness/shadow. Spyro is taken in by a Do-jo Master, and using his studies, Spyro must find out who is behind this and stop them.

Game-play 3/10: You can learn new combat moves by killing monsters, gaining experience, and taking it to the masters. Now what happened? Combat?! While this may seem like a good idea at first, it isn't. There aren't a lot of combat moves you can do, and combat's shallow. There may be a combo you have to do to reveal an enemies weak spot, but there's a very small number of combos necessary. By then you just need to mash the attack button to kill enemies. You also can't rely on flames to get you through because they aren't that powerful. You learn magic throughout the game too. This is kind of cool because you have to draw symbols on the touch-screen to cast it. The core of the game is that you have to use these portals to warp to the shadow realm. There you need to save all of the dragons by killing all of the enemies. It's kind of like the main objective in the first game, except this isn't fun. After that, you need to go back to the regular realm and do these little tasks the dragons want you to do. These are often fetch-quests, and sometimes you have to escort somebody to someplace. Lather, rinse, repeat for the entire game. You fight bosses every once in a while. These bosses are actually fun, but short-lived. Difficulty was never really an issue, but the developers really should have given you more health.

Graphics 2/10: The characters are awful. 3-D characters and a 2-D environments on the Nintendo DS does not work at all. The characters are a blocky mess and they are so ugly I actually once got a headache from looking at them. The 2-D environment is quite nice and pretty, but this isn't enough to save this category.

Sound 1/10: Did they even try?! I only remember two themes: The hometown theme, and the shadow theme. The hometown theme isn't even good though and the shadow theme is just a bunch of high-pitched whines. I can't even recall the rest.

Game-play Time 4/10: This game will last a little while, but it shouldn't take more than a week to beat if you play it once a day.

Replayability 1/10: I have absolutely no desire to play through this game again. It has almost no redeeming factors and it isn't fun to play. I'll probably put myself through it to replay it once every 5 years, but I don't even know about that.

This game is the worst Spyro game I have played and it's in the list of my Top 5 Least Favorite Games. Still, it isn't the worst game I've played, but that isn't saying much.

Final Score: 20% or 2/10.

Buy, rent, or ignore? Ignore.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 11/09/09

Game Release: Spyro: Shadow Legacy (US, 10/18/05)