Review by Edward_Wang_Hau

"This game is at the top of the list for the DS!"

I'm going to be honest with you...I thought it was a stupid idea, plain and simple. But Nintendogs turned out to be a great game and has a lot going for it. Its the first simulator of it's kind and very unique in its own way.

Here is how the game starts. You begin in the kennel where you can look at dogs or buy one; This will be your first dog. The choices you have are: Labrador Retriever, Miniature Schnauzer, Toy Poodle, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Miniature Pinscher, And a Shiba Inu. You take your dog home and you have to name him / her. After that's done with there's tons of things to do with your new puppy.

Graphics (10/10)
The graphics in this game are very good for a hand-held. Pretty much all of the models of the dogs and the environment are in full 3D and it looks great on the screen. The textures are very clear and you can see your dogs from far away. So far I haven't experienced any lag in the graphics or anything wrong with them, the park and the items you can use are very clear.

Controls(9/10)
The controls on this game aren't really controls...the only thing you use is your stylus and I guess your voice counts. The stylus can be used for many things like petting your dog or helping him / her learn tricks. The voice is using the microphone in the DS and you can use your voice for the tricks you teach your dog. When you say the command in a similar tone the dog does the trick you taught it.

Gameplay(9/10)
The gameplay in this game is a very strong part of it because without it this game would be nothing. Right away this game is just fun. As soon as you get your dog the fun starts weather it's going for a walk to the park, teaching him tricks, entering the dog in competitions and many other things. When you take your dog for a walk you pick a route, sometimes you can find presents or other dogs. When you and another dog meet up for the first time they might smell each other and play or not be very friendly and fight. Every time you go for a walk your dogs stamina goes up and you can go on longer routes and you can enter in the agility competitions. You can do many other things with the dog at home such as groom it or the a main part of the game, teach it tricks. To teach your dog tricks you make the motion(e.g. To sit you rub his head then move the stylus down and he sits) After you do the trick on your own you touch a light bulb at the top right corner of the screen and record what you want to say when the dog will do the trick, You usually have to repeat this 3 or 4 times and the dog will learn it.

Sound(10/10)
The sound in this game is superb. The DS speakers play the sounds loud and very crisp and clear that is pleasing to the ear. Dog's barking or when your at a competition the people cheering, it all sounds great.

Buy or not?
I say this is a must buy, there's many things I didn't mention in this but this game is definitely well worth the 30 or 35 dollars. Have you and a friend buy it then link up...it's tons of fun!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/06/05