Review by wolverinefan

"A decent Pokemon adventure but not a must play"

I'm a big Pokemon fan. So this review may be a smidge bias. Perhaps you should remove one entire point from the final score if you're not a Pokemon fan. That being said I must say that at first I was mildly surprised by this title but this game proves you need to beat a game before reviewing it or passing full judgment on it. Want to know what I'm talking about? Read on!

You're a human and one day you suddenly wake up and you're a Pokemon. Not sure if the next character is the same in every game but in mine it was a Charmander. Another Pokemon shows up and you decide to join up and make a rescue team. Basically run around doing errands for other people. As you progress you try to find out why you have been turned into a Pokemon and why strange natural disasters are happening. For a Mysterious Dungeon title the plot isn't too bad. Much better than the last title in the series I played; Chocobo's mysterious Dungeon 2.

This is a direct port of the Gameboy Advance game but with a few tiny additions. No clue what they are besides stylus support and the use of the top screen as a stats page. Which is very useful. That being said the graphics aren't mind blowing but they look good enough. The Pokemon are easy to recognize but the game is a bit bland in the color pallet area. Yes, there is color and it's used correctly but the game just didn't seem as vibrant as the other DS titles out there.

Sound wise the game is very lacking. The music isn't bad or anything and it is mildly catchy in an annoying way. However, none of it really stuck in my mind. Sound effects are weak and are the old school Game Boy sound effects. Bleh....

The control in the game is simple. A is attack and X opens the menus. Besides that you don't need to know much else. The stylus movement is awkward and I found myself using the face buttons instead because it was just that much quicker. So, the stylus just feels tacked on and kind of bad.

If you're unfamiliar with the Dungeon series then let's explain it. A dungeon crawler is what the game is essentially. You and your team mate enter a dungeon and they all have a preset amount of floors in the dungeon but the floor layouts are always random except bosses and save spots. You can also bring another team mate along most of the time which makes the game a bit easier but the game forces one empty spot for any new Pokemon that may join you.

The idea of the game is to check your mail and the bulletin board for jobs. Accept the jobs; they have letter grades so you know how hard they might be. Then go to that specific dungeon, keep going until you reach that floor and a message will appear telling you a job is on this floor. Find the Pokemon or item and if it's a Pokemon the game asks if you want to warp out or not. I found it best to do multiple missions in a dungeon at once (3-4 missions in one run). This nets you more points quicker.

Besides that the game doesn't offer much. It has a code system so if you die in a dungeon you can post the code online and someone will help you and give you the code to restore your life. There is stuff to do in town like buys item and buy pieces of land. The land is named after different themes. Specific Pokemon can live in each and you need the area for a Pokemon before it will join up with you.

The actual fighting in the game is silly. It's like normal Pokemon but you only control your main Pokemon. Walk up to another Pokemon and either attack and do a small amount of damage or use a skill (which uses PP) and deal more damage and using PP also nets you more EXP. It really doesn't get harder to explain than that. You can carry X amount of items and the dungeons are full of items. Some floors are mere seconds long if you want them to be. It just depends on where the stairs are for the next floor. I found the game usually landed me in the same room with the stairs about 50% of the time.

The game is very limited and while it took me about 5 hours to beat there is a lot to do after beating the game. The story portion of the game is really short but once you beat it, think of it as New Game Plus. Even more dungeons open up to explore, it almost doubles the dungeon list. Besides that I guess there isn't much else to do but there is a good 15 hours here for beating all the dungeons and getting the best rank.

Is Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Blue Rescue Team good? Not really. It's a decent game though and Pokemon fans and Mysterious Dungeon fans should enjoy it for what it is. I just can't recommend this game beyond a rental. I'm just glad it was around $20 when I bought it.

Story - 7/10