Review by Bop_Louie

"Possibly the best Tetris game out there."

Tetris is well known for being the king of puzzle games. It's a fun, addicting game to play on long trips and the like. So of course Nintendo decided to bring it to the DS, and this time, there are all sorts of new twists on the game.

There are 6 different modes, each themed around a different NES title. Standard Mode is (mainly) based around Mario, and is your average Tetris. You can try to clear 200 total lines, clear a certain number of lines as fast as possible, or compete against a CPU. Something new to the mix in this game is the ability to hold blocks. If you have a block you don't need, you can hold it until later. It really comes in handy.

Push Mode is based around Donkey Kong. In it, you are trying to clear multiple lines at once to push the mass of blocks over your opponent's red line. The opponent is trying to do the same to you. This mode is really fun, especially on multiplayer. It's like an intense game of tug-of-war. With Tetris. And Donkey Kong.

Touch Mode is based around Balloon Fight. In this mode, you are trying to bring down a tower of Tetris blocks (I forget the really fancy name for them) to get to some caged balloons at the top. You slide the blocks using the stylus and touch screen, but the controls for rotating them aren't too great. To turn a block right, you must quickly tap the left side of the block, then the right side of the block. It's the opposite for rotating left. This is very hard to get used to. Why couldn't they just let us rotate blocks using the L and R buttons? There's also Touch Puzzle, where you're trying to complete certain scenarios, like "Get a 3-line chain!" or something like that.

Speaking of puzzles, there's Puzzle Mode, based around Yoshi's Cookie. In this mode, you need to solve puzzles by choosing a certain block and what position it should be in. The computer does the rest. Gets sort of boring after a while, and if you get a used copy of the game, chances are most of the puzzles will be solved. I lost my original copy of the game, so I got another copy that was used (the game is that good) and the person who had it before me was at puzzle 89! Every time I completed a puzzle, it took me to number 89. Ugh.

Mission Mode is based around The Legend of Zelda. Aw, cool, Legend of Zelda! One of my favorite Nintendo franchises! Now there just needs to be a mode based around Mother. Anyway, the franchise this mode is based around is cool, and the mode's ok too. You have to complete certain objectives, like "Clear a line using this block!" or "Clear 2 lines at once!" However, the missions are always either too easy or too difficult. There's also Time Trial, where you have to complete 10 missions as fast as possible.

Last but sort of least is Catch Mode, based around Metroid. In this mode, you move a mass of blocks around, and catch other blocks. Your goal is to get a 4 x 4 square formed so it will explode. This mode is incredibly boring and slow, and doesn't get interesting until about level 14, but by that time I'm already done with this mode.

The multiplayer is great, like in most puzzle games. Not too much to say there.

The music is great too. There are remixes of classic NES songs, and sometimes the original NES songs.

Overall, Tetris DS is the best Tetris game I've ever played, but sadly, the game is out of print. The only way to get it is to get a used copy, or to get it off of the Internet. Still, I highly recommend this game to anyone who owns a DS.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/03/11

Game Release: Tetris DS (US, 03/20/06)