Review by blackdeath1009

"A Classic"

Hello! This is my first review for any game. Let's get started, shall we?

Music/Sound: The sound is excellent, but at some times it can sound tinny (An example is when Link laughs). The music is good, but I expected a lot better from a Zelda game. The dungeon music is the same, boring tune and I often found myself shutting off the sound to play my own music. The ‘island' music is generic as well, which I also found annoying. Nintendo could have done a lot of a better job at this.

Graphics: Ah, graphics. The graphics in this game are…well…not very good, but that's to be expected from the DS. Now, I'm not much of a fan of the cell-shading style Nintendo used, but it's still pretty solid. There are a couple of clipping issues, some flickering issues, and the characters look a bit ‘blocky'. I have never played a lot of DS games, so I am not sure what the system is capable of…but I think it could have been a little better then that at least.

Gameplay/Plot: As with all Zelda games, this is where the game shines! Unfortunately, there are no new weapons to add to the Zelda series, which I was disappointed about. The way you can control the different items is innovative though, and I often found myself just drawing the path for the boomerang just for the heck of it! The plot, well, it's the usual ‘Princess gets captured and you have to save her' deal. If you have played any Zelda games previous to this though, you may recognize the fairies and a few other tribes that I'm not going to spoil. Nintendo did add a few more tribes for you to learn about, though. There are a few winks to at least one past Zelda game in here, too. The sailing is basically the same in Windwaker, but except it is a little less boring because random enemies pop up from time to time, and there are pirates roaming the seas.

Controls: I find the controls to be excellent and innovative. I had a little bit of a hard time trying to get Link to roll, but I got the hand of it. The game uses the touch screen constantly. No complaints here.

Replay Value: The replay value is okay. You can connect with your friends to trade ship parts and treasures and whatnot, but I haven't tried that out yet because I have yet to find a person who has the game in my area. As expected, there are sidequests and some mini-games, so that will help the replay value a bit.

Final Verdict: Rent first, if you can, and if you like it then buy it. As a gamer, I tend to rent any games first before I buy them unless I am sure that I will like them.
If you are unable to rend DS games in your area, I would buy it. That is, if you don't like the minor but annoying problems of repetitive music, no new items, and not-that-great graphics. 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/12/08

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (US, 10/01/07)