Question from majorhavic

How do I get a metal slime to not run away?

Im trying to kill a metal slime to become an armamentalist but they always run away, what should I do?it would be great if you could tell me how when im a mage.

playingforfun answered:

You are not required to use only your main character to perform the quest. There are no class restrictions on quests either. You just need the skill needed to complete the quest. Therefore I found putting the 8 points into every character for Wizard Ward made completing armamentalist much easier. It is very easy to get the skill points, just switch to a level one class, level up and save up 8 skill points. Then buy wizard ward and go beat up metal slimes. Simply lead off any metal slime fights with everybody using wizard ward then use any of the strategies for fighting metal slimes (poison needle, metal slash, autocrit skills). Also once learned you can always use wizard ward regardless of current class.
7 0

Answers

xsmilez answered:

Have someone use war cry and hope it works. I know the coup de grace of a MA would definitely keep it from running, but that would require 2 turns from the MA. I tend to just metal slash and attack it, hoping it'll die before it gets the chance to flee.
0 1

DavarGrey answered:

Having characters with high charm/style can increase the chance of a metal slime being too busy staring at you to run away just as easily as any other monster.
0 1

rccx answered:

Metal slash.... if you have, it or high tension
0 1

Malroth_returns answered:

Poison needle on your mage, mages outspeed the metal slimes and poison needle is either a gauranteed 1 damage or instant death depending on your deftness. works even better with 2 metal slash users to wear its hp down while the mage puts up his ward
0 1

outtapride answered:

use either posion needle for instant kills
Or
Replace 2 of your party members or even 3 if your confident in your mage with level 1 party members fresh from patty
Doing that will make the slimes stay some what longer before running
0 2

conkid answered:

There are actually quite alot of places that where you find any kind of metal slime they will be in groups. This decreases chances of them running away. But you should kill the metal slime first because killing all his friends will increase chances of running. War cry works and getting high deftness will increase chances of an extra move. Happy hunting
0 1

TJargon answered:

The best way to prevent a Metal Slime from running is to be really low level. With good equipment a fifth level party can survive the monsters in the contagion ruins, but Metal Slimes don't run from level five characters until they are heavily damaged.

Have as many characters as possible, preferably all four with both metal slash and wizard ward. First round, have everyone cast ward. Second round, everyone uses metal slash. The result is one dead metal slime.
0 2

TheTaker3k answered:

Although this question is extremely vauge: heres an answer. Keep trying. I can't tell you how many people have asked this same question. It is plauging the answers of all dragon quest games with these metal slimes. Such a question begs an intelligent answer. As much as i would love to tell you to suck it up and keep trying, i feel like being helpful. First, make sure you have 4 decent-leveled characters. Now pick out the best abilities they have that you think would be effective on metal enemies. Remember that metal slimes are resistant to just about every spell you can throw, so stick to abilities, and if you don't have any good abilities, just attack. Even a full party of normal attacks will get you a couple metal slimes
Metal slash, Hatchet Man, Flailing nails, Needle Shot, Poison Needle, Rain of Pain, and just normal attacks fell metal enemies quickly (some of those abilities you can't get yet, i was just listing)
War cry and other ways of terrifying them aren't very effective in my expierience, because it takes more time to worry about than it keeps them terrified, plus, they ARE metal slimes, lets be honest there isn't a high chance of success. The last thing i have to say is something i noticed when i was metal slime hunting, sometimes they have 4 health, and sometimes they have 3!
0 2

spexguy314 answered:

The easiest way in my opinion is to use metal slash with a falcon blade while wizard ward is up. If you're lucky, you can get 2 2s or a 2/1. To get the slime to stick around for longer try to bring some low level party members
0 2

Blademaster_Kai answered:

Keep trying. I definitely recommend a Falcon Blade or an Uber Falcon Blade and use Metal Slash, like spexguy314 said, which is what I did. If you're lucky, you can 1-shot 'em on the 2nd turn
1 1

themysticalone answered:

For the armamentalist quest, what I did was give all four characters wizard ward (from the mage skill tree), and metal slash (from the sword skill tree). Changed them all to people who could use swords, then on turn 1 wizard warded with all four, then metal slashed with all four on turn two. Lower levels help; they'll run less often.

In any case, not too unlikely for them to stick around to be killed in turn two, especially when you get lucky and chain the metal slashes together so that they incrementally do more damage.
0 1

Metal slime? Answered hallstromjr
Metal Slime Armour? Answered SmakyNz
How do I keep metal slime from running? Answered jimborrific
Metal slime appearance tip? Answered jiraiya19
King Metal Slime? Answered SmakyNz