Question from TheVeyron

Could I be a mage without any weapons and still be effective?

Could I just use all the armour and sheild without putting points into whips or wands? Could a mage be as good by just using magic and sheilds as a mage who uses whips and sheilds and magic?

Sounds one sided... Could a mage who has concentrated on magic and sheilds be as good as a mage who had a bit of whips, sheilds and magic?

TGSnowwy answered:

Why not wands? Their attack power is so dismal you're nearly unarmed anyway (for physical attacks). Wands are really for boosting Magic, not physical attack.

Certain wands boost Magic Might (or Mending) and/or give access to certain spells (by using the wand as an item during battle). Plus, having a wand equipped lets you have access to the Wand Skills, which include MP regeneration, Caduceus (Midheal for the cost of a normal Heal), and 60-100 extra MP.

A mage who concentrates solely on Spellcraft and Shields will be short the extra MP from the Wand skills, the MP regen from the Wand Skills (buy a lot of Magic Water at 500g each, in the second half of the game), and lack the versatility of the various spells available from using Wands as items (which is only possible when they're equipped). They will also be short the physical attack power and skills of whips.

So no, a Mage who is overly restricted will not be as good as one with more skill and equipment options.
0 0

Why does my mage keep missing? Answered vilis16
Which is better? A mage or Armamentalist? Answered Ihatespam101
Best Mage Equipment? Answered M1L9K9_3
Mage or Sage? Answered LamboB1
I am going with mage and was wandering? Open i_Am_DeAtH84