Question from daniscool

Theif not stealing?

As far as I understand, the success on the theif's Half-inch skill comes down to a mixture of deftness and luck.

My theifs deftness is around 250, and has of yet, stolen nothing successfuly. I'm getting quite sick of seeing that my attempt was 'thwarted'.

I'm currently attempting to do Quest 11, and I need to obtain 5 iron nails. Clockwork Cuckoos carry them (apparently), and I figured, that with them being a low-level, it shouldn't be too difficult to steal the nails from them.

What I'm asking is, how high should my deftness be, and what strategies are best for getting a successful 'half-inch'?

Thanks in advance.

From: Derak_Necron 4 years ago

As far as I have noticed the Steal Rate is pretty low no matter what your deftness seems to be. To speed up how fast you manage to steal, make everyone a Thief long enough to learn Half-Inch, and have all 4 characters use it. Sure you usually get turns where your first character steals the item causing your other 3 to basically do nothing, but at least you got the item.

The only For-Sure way to increase your Steal Rate on a single characters Half-Inch is to have the Thiefs Medal accessory equipped (Apparently you get this for getting a Thief to level 99 and revocationing it, but I have not done this so I can not say for sure this 100% accurate)

Patience is a virtue when it comes to stealing, the lower the drop rate of the item, the harder it is to steal. I spend A LOT of time stealing from the Ragged Reaper's near Zere for Evencloths and Cumulus Rex's for Thunderballs, and some days I steal the items easily, other days I get so frustrated that I want to or end up throwing my DS.

well based on the games mechanics, the clockwork cuckoo's drop rate for iron nails is 1.56%. To me, using the thief's half-inch ability is just to save time. For example, instead of running around killing hundreds of them your eventually guaranteed an item from every one you encounter (so long as they don't flee) and based on laws of chance (or whatever) they should be at least once every 64 times you steal one.
100% / 1.56% = 64.4102
I hope this is helpful.