Review by JCash1313

"Definitely the best RPG for any current hand held"

I have loved Dragon Quest games since I played one and two on my old Gameboy and played the Dragon Warrior Monster games with my brother for most of my child hood. I picked this up expecting to love it and it did not disappoint. It is everything you would expect from a Dragon Quest game and more. It is the best RPG out for a handheld and close to the best RPG out for any system if you don't count SRPGs. The game is absolutely incredible. It is near perfect and props must be given to anybody that had a hand in producing it. The story is engrossing and the characters are well done. The graphics are fantastic for the DS and the music is great. The game play is amazing with the exception of maybe one or two slight flaws. It is long enough to keep you busy and the multi player is decent if you have friends to play with. The game is one of the best games out and I recommend it to anyone with a DS.

The story is, in my opinion, fairly original and really well done. That is to be expected with Dragon Quest games though. The characters are really easy to get a grip on their personality and really connect with them. It is one of the better stories for a DS RPG. The only flaw I think there is with the story is the fact that the other characters that are with you are created by you which is good game play wise but then they don't have a background story. Other than that slight flaw the story is almost perfect in my opinion. It is well told and has some twists that you may or may not see coming.

The graphics are great for the DS. The regular playing and the story scenes are both great. They are easily some of the top graphics for a DS game. The characters and the monsters you fight are well drawn as well. The different items you can wear are done extremely well. The music is great music for a game. It's classic Dragon Quest music that fans have grown to love. If it is not broke, do not fix it right?

The game play is really where this game shines. It has a great turn based battle system. Your characters will learn abilities for whatever job they have then and you can customize what they learn and grow strong in by placing the ability points wherever you like. The game is really about customization. You get to choose your characters job and then get to make him or her grow according to how you want them to grow. You even get to create the characters look and change their face, eyes and hair. Your characters appearance also changes as you change the clothes on your character. The only problem I see with the game play is the fact that the enemies are out running around and run after you or run away from you. It gets annoying when you are trying to grind and the monsters continue to run from you. Random battles would have been a lot better, no matter what the masses say about random battles. The length of the game is really great though. I bought it to play over vacation because I knew I would have a lot of down time and it really filled up my time. There is a ton to do in the game and it will last you a while. The multi player is great if you have someone you know that plays Dragon Quest games. You can help each other out a lot. Me and my brother tried it out and it was fantastic. Overall the game play is near perfect with only a slight flaw that you can look past easily.

Overall this game is an incredible game and needs to be in any RPG lovers collection. The Dragon Quest games are always great but this one really is fantastic. It is easily the best RPG on the DS and PSP. The only hand held RPG that comes remotely close is the Chrono Trigger remake, which while that is really just a remake, it is still a good game not as good as people say but still good, this game is better than it. It's battle system may be turn based and not original but why change something that's worked? It's game play is incredible and the graphics and story are great too. You should definitely go and buy it next time you're out. It is definitely worth the money. You will enjoy it if you enjoy role playing games.

Game Scores:
Story: 9.5/10
Music: 10/10
Game Play: 9.5/10
Overall: 9.75/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/21/10

Game Release: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (US, 07/11/10)