Review by Blood_Nights

"Bloody's FFTA2 Review: open the Grimoire, enter another world ("

Bloody's FFTA2: RIFT OF THE GRIMOIRE

Alright, this game, compared to FFTA, is entirely different. Pretty much its an amped up, better looking, more weapons part 2 to the FFTA game. Sadly, it doesn't have any FFTA characters in it, and nor can you trade over you FFTA characters to it. With that said, I'll go onto the rating.

Music/Sounds: 9/9 out of 10
The music and sounds are the most memorable that I have heard in a long time. The music is clear, sound effects are well aligned to what's happening, and both make the game quite enjoyable. Sometimes I find myself playing the game just to listen to the music.

Graphics: 7 out of 10
The graphics were well detailed compared to the original FFTA, but sometimes would cause strain on the system, making it lag at times where a character had a large attack range. For me, this made the game less enjoyable. Sprites were well detailed, while portraits displayed ugly, very plain characters, sometimes even making me just stop playing. The top screen has no real purpose besides telling whose turn it is, and enlarging the sprites when selected. But, the top screen made the game lag and made game play even slower.

Game play: 5 out of 10
The game play is exactly like FFTA, except with more flaws. I've seen at least 10 mistranslations and typos throughout the game. Along with this, as stated earlier, the game lags every so often in combat. There are many unfair laws, making it so rarely in the midst of combat, can you heal your characters, or deal greater than 20 damage. If broken, you lose your bonus, clan privilege and the right to revive your characters.

Story: 2 out of 10
This game quite literally has NO story. Its exactly the same as last time, except your character is now a violent hot head, instead of a weak cry baby. Besides that, they're identical. You read the same book Mewt reads in FFTA (ironically, it's his book on this one. At the beginning he is mentioned once, and said to be the librarian of the school your character goes to.), and then you're sucked into another world.

Replay ability: 8 out of 10
With multiple jobs to obtain and master, why shouldn't this game have a high replay ability? Not only that, but the games bazaar feature in stores adds customization to store weapons, and then there is the moogle job "Chocobo Knight", which allows your moogle to "ride" one of many colored chocobo, and use almost any weapon.

Final scores:

Music:9/10
Sound:9/10
Graphics:7/10
Gameplay:5/10
Story:2/10
Total:33/50

Final Total:6.6/10 (rounded up to 7/10)

Final Thoughts: You should definitely purchase this game. I've had it for 2 or 3 weeks (I couldn't play for about 10 days for DS repairs), and have already clocked well over 1 days worth of time on it. If you do decide to buy this game (roughly 40usd at Target), I suggest not dispatching units on quests that don't

require it. It can take away the fun of the game.

Until next time!

Bloody

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/29/08

Game Release: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (US, 06/24/08)