Review by _Gladius_

"A great game that will steal hours of your life."

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift is one of the best RPGs that came out for the DS this year. It is similar to Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, with a few upgrades. You basically build a clan and go around the world of Ivalice completing quests and missions, while gaining new companions, equipment, jobs, and abilities. It's a great game that I found extremely entertaining.

Gameplay - 9/10

The Gameplay is what makes the game great. It's not too hard to figure out, and once you do you'll be playing for hours on end. I only have two main complaints about the gameplay. One is the new law system. It is important to obey the laws early in the game to get valuable equipment that will help you early on. But there are many laws that you have no control over breaking (such as "Being Robbed" or "Missing"), as well as many that make the quests almost impossible. However, after you get somewhat into the game, you can break the laws whenever you want as the equipment you win becomes obsolete, making the law system somewhat pointless. My other big complaint is this game is not very difficult at all. Sure, it takes a long time to fully beat it, but most of the quests are very easy as soon as you progress a bit into the game. Otherwise, the gameplay is outstanding.

Story - 4/10

The Story is by far the weakest aspect of this game. There are only 20 main quests, and the characters are never quite developed. The ending to the game is also very weak. There are storylines to some of the sidequests that are much better than the main storyline of the game.

Graphics/Sound - 8/10

The graphics and soundtrack for this game are great for the DS. Some of the spells and summons look very nice. I also like most of the sprites used in the game, although they could have put a few more different ones in. The soundtrack for the game is good, like most Final Fantasy games. I will say that I got tired of some of the generic battle musics though.

Play Time/Replayability - 10/10

If you only complete the main story quests, then this game will only take 30 hours. But if you plan on completing every quest like I do, it will take a lot more of your time. Figure 150+ hours of your life gone if you complete all 400 of the quests/missions in this game. There's a ton of things to do in FFTA2, and it'll keep you playing for weeks. You can also make a new file where you can challenge yourself with a clan of only one race, or a solo file, or other things like that if you want to replay it, but 1 file should be plenty enough to keep you entertained.

Final Recommendation

If you're an RPG fan with a DS, buy this game. If you played Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced and liked it, you have no reason to not own this game already. I've already logged about 90 hours in FFTA2 this summer, and I've only completed a little over half the quests. I definitely recommend this game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/18/08

Game Release: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (US, 06/24/08)