Review by RPG_Crazy

"Starts out slow but really picks up!"

Intro-
I don't know why but this game has been getting a lot of hate. But it's not like I don't know why. It's just what I said in this reviews title. This game starts out slow. Most people who say its garbage haven't played past the first mission. If you give this game a shot and remember this is NOT the Xbox 360 or the PS3 you uncover a really fun game.

That's the other thing too. A lot of people compare this to the Xbox 360 and PS3 Assassin's Creed . This is NOT the 360 or the PS3. This is the DS. And this is Assassin's Creed:Altair's Chronicles. Not Assassin's Creed. Keep that in mind as we move on.

Gameplay- 9/10
This is where Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles really shines. The gameplay is smooth and runs like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. There is wall climbing, wall to wall jumping, balancing on beams set fifty feet above ground with soldiers on the ground waiting with drawn swords incase you fall. Oh yeah, this games has got all that and more. The platforming in this game is very well done. And while some of the earlier phases of the game may seem pretty easy, it gets pretty intense when you've got an axe swinging behind you, spikes in front of you and soldiers shooting arrows at you, all while your balancing on a piece of wood set fifty feet above the ground.

Another thing I should mention is the combat. This is where a lot of the people who only played 30 minutes and gave up complain. Sure, there are only different combos and two different finishes in the beginning but if you played another 20 minutes you would have be starting gain more combos the guards would have become a lot stronger. What I'm trying to say is this:

For you to really enjoy this game you must play for more than half and hour. Give it a chance and when you discover how much fun it is latter you'll thank me!

Storyline- 7/10
Nothing much to complain about here. Nothing to write home about either though. The story doesn't really grab you but gives you enough reason to keep playing. Although, there were a couple of times I was scratching my head. Not much else to say though. 7/10

Graphics- 8/10
Pretty good graphics for the DS. Although nothing like the Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword coming out for DS soon. Still, they're probably just as good as any PSX game out there. I've only had one or two slow downs and even those where nothing major. There are a few glitches in this game but most of them are nothing besides a laughable mistake in the animations (AKA, instead of stabbing the guard you stab the ground. The guard still dies though so it's not like it messes up your game.) And considering how much stuff is going on the screen it's really quite smooth. I've only had a few minor slowdowns through the whole game.

Sound- 9/10
This game has a wonderful soundtrack that really fits the games mood. I love the music when you assassinate someone! Not to mention the overall sound quality is very good. Ubisoft seems to have a gift with putting the right music in the right situations.

Replayability- 7/10
This game is about 8-12 hours long. 8 if you're rushing through it, 12 if you take your time and enjoy it. This game also has a hard mode you unlock when you beat the game which adds a little replayability. Not to mention 'Memories' mode, where you select a mission to play again.

Overall- 8/10
Overall this game provided me with a fun platforming experience that I'll be playing for a long time. It's one of those games where you don't sell it because you know your going to come back to it. I very glad I just ignored the negative comments on this game and just went out and bought it. 8/10. Very fun.

Buy or Rent?-
Buy. Trust me, you'll be coming back to it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/12/08

Game Release: Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles (US, 02/05/08)