Review by Cackleseed

"Altair comes to the small screen."

.:. Introduction .:.

I'd like to start off this review but stating this is my first review, so it's probably not the best. Anyway, let's get back on topic. The original Assassin's Creed was a spectacular game. It is the best action game of I have ever played, and it would come in 2nd on my list of all time favourite games. It had an epic storyline, an excellent combat system, spectacular free-roaming gameplay, spot-on controls and fun wall climbing. When I heard they were making a second one, I knew for sure I was going to buy it. I was kinda doubtful how the DS would handle this game, but it turned out pretty good.

- Gameplay 8/10 -

This game is more of a platformer than an adventure game. When I heard about it being like a platformer I had doubts about the game, but the platforming element is pretty fun. The controls are pretty good but has some very minor flaws. One of them being that Altair has a tendency of climbing things too often. Example: If you are try to push a crate onto a switch, a lot of the time you end up climbing the crate. Also, there will be a lot of miscalculated jumps in your adventure. The combat system is pretty simple, but it still is fun. There is a lot of different attack combinations, so there is some variety in attack. One issue I have with this game is that you die easily. Nick your foot on a spike dead. Accidentally land in some fire, dead. Stand in a sandstorm for one second, dead. I think you get the point. The mini games are so-so. I don't really like pickpocketing, but interrogation is pretty fun. All in all though. gameplay is pretty good.

- Story 10/10 -

This is the best story I have ever seen on a DS game. The developer's of this game nailed this section. It is an interesting story that will make you want to play the game all the way to the end. I'm not going to tell you anything about the plot because I don't want to ruin anything for you.

- Graphics 8/10 -

The graphics for this game are great, but they aren't the best. Compared to the console version there pathetic, but only an idiot would waste time comparing a DS game to a Xbox 360/PS3 game. Everything looks like what it is supposed to be. The art in this game is absolutely amazing. Every time the loading screen comes up, I admire the art on the top. Compared to some other games on the DS, this game has wonderful graphics.

- Sound 9/10 -

The sound in this game is amazing. It comes out sharp and clear, and the sound effects sound very much like what they are supposed to sound like. Like this one part when you have to pickpocket a sleeping guard, it actually sounds like he is snoring. The music is completely wonderful (when there is some). When the music isn't playing the game feels slightly more empty. Also, it's like there is always someone talking in the background.

- Replay Value 6/10 -

The game is pretty lacking here. There isn't very much reason to replay this game. Maybe if you wanted to collect orbs, but that is about it.

- Overall 8/10 -

This game can be enjoyed by anyone who has played the previous Assassins Creed and enjoyed it. If you haven't played the previous game and are unsure, rent it first. This is a game that can easily be enjoyed if you go in with the right mind, and the right amount of patience.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/19/08

Game Release: Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles (US, 02/05/08)