Review by wolverinefan

"Ugh... Another crappy game"

For what its worth I enjoyed the original Assassin's Creed on the 360. Yeah, it got tedious after a while and the achievements weren't worth the hassle for flags but in small doses it was fun. Then suddenly out of nowhere came this DS prequel of sorts.

If follows Altair before the 360 version. Plot is kind of basic. You're an assassin and you are sent on different lame missions. Without the twists of the original game we really don't get a whole lot of interesting plot.

To make things worse this game is one ugly step child. The frame rate chugs along at times and the graphics themselves are kind of fugly. The city is a bit boring, lack of colors and even details. They are either a solid structure or a structure that has cracks which means it breaks. Enemies all look the same except the stronger ones have more red. Town folk look like guards so I often attacked the wrong person. The falling fire (or was it suppose to be water?) looked like crap as well. Even the games cut scenes are a blurry mess that should just be skipped.

I just turned the game off and I can't remember a single sound from the entire game. Not sound effects, nor the soundtrack. So I can't even tell you about them because they left that big of an impression on me...

It's not hard to keep the game play alive from the original right? Well, we still get to pick pockets, threaten people and fight off guards. It just isn't any fun now. The combat system is a one two punch of using X (light) and Y (heavy) attacks. Most enemies die quickly and without every trying to hit you. You can also hold R to guard and then counter which almost always works and some how makes the game even easier.

Speaking of easy, this title is filled with checkpoints. Ever few steps. Why can't Prince of Persia have that and it's much harder than this. I understand, it's meant to be played on the go but the DS closes upon itself so this many check points aren't needed and even then the stages are even long.

The pick pocketing is done via a mini game where you drag an item through a tiny maze without hitting walls before the time runs out. It's even less fun each time you have to do it.

The threatening is done via a mini game as well but this time it's like I'm playing Elite Beat Agents. Hit the pressure points as the circle encloses it. There are even soldiers! It's some how easier than the dragging mini game for pick pocketing because that kept glitching on me but this didn't.

Hell, this game seemed to glitch a little too often. I constantly found myself reloading check points because I killed an enemy but it didn't register something else so the game got confused and then crashed.

What's better is that the game has to load for a rather long time. I seriously don't remember a cart ever having to load before. I could be wrong though but if someone knows of another let me know so I never play it because these are some sad load times here.

Thankfully the game isn't very long. I'd say 3 hours at most. The only unlockable is a harder difficulty which I guess is a better thing if you found the game insanely easy like I did but I doubt they could make it harder as the AI is pretty brain dead and the combat is broken in such a way that smarter AI wouldn't matter.

I say pass on this turkey and get any other DS game out there because this one is rather bad. Maybe not as bad as some have said before but pretty crappy none of the less. Not even worth a rental in my book and it isn't needed for more Assassin's Creed knowledge.

Story - 4/10
Graphics - 4/10
Sound - 3/10
Control - 7/10
Game Play - 4/10
Replay Value - 2/10

Final Score - 4/10

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 04/23/08

Game Release: Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles (US, 02/05/08)