Review by LimeCatMaster

"Square is at it again, and it actually ends up doing swell."

So, anyone who has played through the Kingdom Hearts games can tell you the wacky concept behind it: Final Fantasy characters in Disney settings. Seriously, had you told that to anyone before the idea for this was made, they would have laughed in your face. But, it actually turned out to be one of the most amazing franchises in the gaming world. this new game focuses on Roxas, that kid we played as in the beginning of Kingdom Hearts 2. Of course, that's really the only time we ever got to know him. And, even then, it wasn't enough. Well, any good game franchise/game will let you get to know important characters and connect with them. Roxas was missing this luxury, and thus, we now know what happened to him from his birth to to when we first met him.

In this game, as said, we learn about Roxas and what happened to him during the events of all the other games. The story itself is actually pretty good. There really aren't any problems with it, it even explains some things. for example, in Kingdom hearts 2, Xaldin just mysteriously showed up in Beast's Castle. However, this game goes into why he is so interested in the area. We also get to learn the day-to-day life of Organization XIII, and get to connect with those characters as well. And, this is Square here, so it does get emotional. One part that really got me was Roxas's one day of vacation. You see, him being a Nobody, AND having no memories of his past life, he only knows what he sees. He never had a vacation before, he doesn't even know what it is. He even goes so far to ask what his JOB is during a vacation. He finally decides to have ice cream, but the reason isn't "he enjoys doing it" as much as it is "its the only things he ever does besides work". It's really depressing, to be honest. Also Square being Square, the story can be very hard to follow at points. However, the story seems to shift focus onto Xion, mysterious Number XIV, but within good reason. By the end of the game, you'll end up feeling depressed, and sorry for Roxas and the other members of the Organization.

In the audio department, the game stacks up well against the other titles. The reason being, the soundtrack is mainly based off of the other games, but does have some of its own original tracks. The music is very nice, but doesn't really have any tracks that will make you stop and listen to. On that same note, although limited, the voice acting in the game is okay. I mean, there's nothing spectacular about it, but it's not the worse. I mean, there is no way it can ever get worse than Aerith/Aeris (it's at this point I hope you realize I can't spell character names). The game does, however, have some very short audio clips over text, just sighs or laughs. And trust me, Quinton Flynn's chuckle gets annoying, as cool as is voice acting is.

Game play is just like the other games. I mean, JUST like it. It is still a very good setup, for those who like it. The same worlds we all know from the the other games are still there, although some of them have new maps, or a combination of maps from Kingdom Hearts 1&2. For example, Wonderland is almost COMPLETELY new, with only Hook's ship being re-used. the enemies are re-used too. For the most part. There are some new ones in there, but most of them are just palette swaps. And, of course, the Panel System. Square's bright idea for this game. Before I go off on this, let me just say that there's nothing wrong with it at all. it's just... somewhat useless. You'll be asking your self the same thing as you did in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. "Why can't I use something as much as I want like in Kingdom Hearts?" It really gets kinda stupid. On the upside, use spells with losing points! On the downside, use them a limited amount of time! Not only that, but your inventory is limited. You can;t just open a chest and get something, which is stupid. I mean, if you are going to begin a series one way, don't go messing with it, especially on stupid things. I really feel like this system hinders the game more than it does help. I can't lie.

To be perfectly honest, its a good game, but has its flaws. I can recommend it to anyone, but only those who have played the other games will really have a clue what is going on.

And, let this review be in memory of Wayne Allwine.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/12/09

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (US, 09/29/09)