Review by redbuck

"The... umm... sorry, can't think of a name no one can pronounce, but it's the story of Roxas."

Hey there, welcome to the review of Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (pronounced three-five-eight Days over Two, or at least that's what it says on the Japanese game's cover). So I guess you're wondering what the game's like, right? Wondering if it lives up to the name Kingdom Hearts? I'll tell ya what, I'll tell you a little bit about it and let you know how it is. If you don't really care about the background, that's fine; just skip to the "Sound" section, but either way, I'm gonna leave some of my background for those who might think of not getting it because it's childish or something.

BACKGROUND: When Kingdom Hearts first came out, I was in 6th grade I believe. I thought of getting it because I've always loved Final Fantasy, but one day, this kid that no one liked was playing it for his gameboy so I decided not to get it or even think about it for that matter. A few years later, I got a girlfriend in Junior High. She played it like... religiously. So one day I go to her house and we played it together. Since she'd already beaten it and got KH II, I asked her if I could borrow KH I because I had so much fun with her. That day completely changed my life around, and to this day, I enjoy Kingdom Hearts like any other game, except more. Ok, onto the review.

What do I consider sound? Well..., music mainly, but I'll go over voices a little bit too. Because voices aren't always in the game and reading is the main part of the story, all you get are a few sighs, grunts, laughs and so on. Maybe a few words every now and then. This can get annoying, but it's not the end of the world. Every now and then, there will be a CG scene when the character speak every word, and sometimes more. I thought those were really cool. Even though most games have them, I thought they were special because I'd go a little while before seeing another one, like when games first started using them in the PS1 era. The music is pretty uplifting most of the time, sad every now and then, but beautiful all the time. Fighting something? Pretty uplifting music to keep your blood flowin', but nothing to make you think there will be an epic battle... unless there actually is, then the music really makes you feel the epicocity... is that a word? Anyway, epicocity of the fight.

The graphics are ok too. Not great, but good enough. Just your average every day Nintendo DS graphics, but they are a *little* better than usual during the CG cut-scenes. Other than that, there's not much to say about the graphics. Sorry graphics freaks, but this is just an average game if you base an ENTIRE game on graphics.

The story's... well, pretty much already known about, but not into as much detail. As many of you readers may know, KH: 358/2 Days revolves around Roxas and his days in Organization XIII. From the beginning to end, Roxas will learn more about the organization and about himself. I don't want to give away too much, so I'll just say that what he learns can be both good and bad to him, but either way, it did help him in the end. Sorry for being so secretive, but even though I don't mind them because I still have to see how things play out, a lot of people don't like spoilers.

The gameplay is halfway decent. The combat is basically like the other Kingdom Hearts games, but instead of leveling up normally, you get experience through missions (these aren't sidequests; they're just the way you progress in this game) and depending on how well you do in the mission, you may or may not get more. Eventually when you get a level up, you get what's called a Lv. Panel which you can then place in your grid, which lets you set up your weapons, abilities, and so on. You'll eventually get multipliers and such, but I won't go too into detail, because then this review will be ten pages long. :P Anyway, some weapons also give you the option to use an alternative combo by pressing the Y button isntead of the A button. For example, one weapon that I used most of the game had one combo: A+A+A+A, or another: A+A+A+Y+Y+Y. I thought that was a pretty good addition to the game. The gameplay has so much to offer. It ranges from sneaking around not getting spotted, beating the crap out of Heartless, searching for and destroying certain things. Ok, that may not seem like much, but trust me, it gets the job done. I haven't played it online and I don't really plan to because I don't care for online play much, but I've heard that's pretty good too. Sorry I can't go into more detail.

Overall, I'd have to say this is a really good game. It may not be the best game in the world, but it's definitely a more enjoyable one, at least I think so. If I had to say rent or buy, I'd say that it's worth a buy, but renting it is fine too if you can get a few extra days. It took me maybe a week or so to beat it, but I was addicted to it until the end, so I was getting in close to four or five hours a day. I played a total of 27 hours, so it has a decent length to it, plus there are challenges to do after or during story mode, which I don't normally do after I've beaten a game, but feel free to try them out! Thank you for reading my review, and happy gaming!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/01/10

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (US, 09/29/09)