Review by maxaboshi

"Will the start over of this series ruin the game?"

AW:DoR Review

The advance Wars series is all about war. While I really haven't played any of them except this one, it really doesn't matter, since they've started all over, introducing new characters, added some new features, and taken out some modes, so not playing the past games doesn't really affect you in any way.

This game is a strategy RPG, revolving around war, so you'll be using different types of tanks, infantry, recon, fighters, battleships, etc. As I've stated before, the developers have started all over with the story. Commanding Officers now join the battle on the field. There's now wi-fi with voice chat, which replaces the other modes in the previous games. I don't know which ones have been taken out, so I can't tell you.

You have your share of naval units, air units, and land units that you can command. They each have unique abilities, some are strong against another, and vise versa. There are long ranged units, and units have different mobility, vision, etc. There's fog of war, and the terrain and weather and all that stuff really makes you feel like you're in a real war situation.

This game courts a brighter audience, since it requires lots of thinking, so it's not really a game you can do something else and play this game at the same time, unless you like to fail. The grid-map style makes things easy to move around, and the controls are quite simple, choose a unit to move, use where using either the D-pad or the touch-screen, and select that square; then, choose to fire, wait, create, etc.

Now you might be wondering, why is it such a high score? Well, since those developers chose to start it all over, they made a new storyline as well. This story is quite depressing, but it really compels you to play. Sometimes during the missions, I definitely would have quit if it weren't for the interesting, original story.

Graphics/Sound: 8/10
Average, nothing really special here. You have explosions, there's no talking, and the things in game look good, but I do think the DS can do a tiny bit better than this.

You also have music, although they really don't bring anything new, they're fairly good to listen to.

Playtime/Replay ability: 9.5/10
This is one of the places where this game shines. If you're actually good at this game, and once you unlock near everything, you will most likely sink lots of hours into this game. If you have friends, you'll get even more time into it, and then you also have wi-fi with low-fi voice chat, which adds even more hours to this game.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend buying this game since renting will not get you enough time to play through all of this game.

Final score: 8 out of 10.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/05/08

Game Release: Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (US, 01/21/08)