Review by jaggedtears

"Be careful where you step...it may be your last!"

Theresia is a survival horror video game for the Nintendo DS. The Japanese title is Theresia: Dear Emile.

Story: 9

Truly one of the scariest video games I've ever played. It beats Resident Evil ten times over. Silent HIl is still creepy but not as creepy as Theresia. There are two playable characters in this game. The first is a young girl, who wakes up in a strange room and a strange prison. The other is a young boy who also wakes up in a strange room. His story takes place in an orphanage. Neither one of them can remember who they are. Not a completely original idea, but the information you uncover as you go along is extremely terrifying. More than once, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. And that's with the all the lights on!

Graphics: 8

Pretty decent. A little grainy and dark, but I guess that's how it's supposed to be.

Music: 9

Definitely adds to the creep factor. Sound effects count toward this, also.

Game play: 9

There are 4 stages for each character. The second game can only be unlocked after you've played through the first one. This is a point and click. It involves A LOT of exploring and some backtracking, which can be tricky if you don't remember where to go. Mainly, you go around these different mazes and rooms and try to figure out who you are. It seems there are mazes after endless mazes. And after awhile, all of them start to look to the same. The text of the game is very dark and disturbing. The images are just as equally horrifying. The one thing to watch out for are traps in each room that are meant to harm you. If you find something called an elixir, you can use it to heal yourself if you're injured. Just be careful not to let your life meter go completely down. This is another game where a lot of time is spent just trying to figure out where to go next.. But you have a pendant to help you out if you get stuck and you can always refer to a walk through.

Replay value: 8

There is another game to be played after you complete the first one.

Overall: 9

A must have for all survival horror fans and fans in general of the horror genre.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/09/09

Game Release: Theresia (US, 10/30/08)