Review by ss4kakashi

"Sadly Lacking In the Usual Naruto Epicness Department"

ss4kakashi's Review of Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Destiny 2

First let me point out that I love Naruto. I absolutely love it. And for all you who do not share a common love of Naruto like I do, let me give you some basic plot details. (Note: this is only for those who don't know Naruto, so if you do, please feel free to skip it) Naruto is a ninja who has the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox sealed in him. He is on a quest to become the Hokage, or the greatest ninja (or Shinobi as it is called often) in his village. He is put on a team with Sasuke Uchiha. Sasuke is the always-present bad-boy in search of power. He is enticed by the evil guy Orochimaru and eventually leaves the village and his comrades to seek power from Orochimaru. This leads to an epic confrontation betweeen Naruto and Sasuke. Fast forward two and a half years into the future. This begins the second part of Naruto, otherwise called Shippuden. Naruto has come back from training with Jiraiya. He finds out that friend has been kidnapped by the evil organization known as the Akatsuki. He goes to rescue this friend. He fights one of the members named Deidara. This is where the story mode picks up so I will leave it there.

Story- 9/10

This was by far the best part about the game. They were very faithful to the Naruto Shippuden storyline. They even went to extent of using many of the lines straight from the manga and anime (Unlike the previous game which basically paraphrased the story). The story mode itself is much longer than the previous game, but if you are even barely decent at fighting games, it will take you no more than an hour to complete your first run through. A new addition to the series was the RPG/Adventure elements of the story mode.

Sound- 7/10

It was better than the last game, incorporating more of the actor's voices in battle. The battle sounds itself are essentially ripped from the last game entirely.

Music- 4/10

AHHHHH! Its the same music from the last game. And I realized when I was playing this, just how bad it really is. The music is awful, especially because the soundtrack from the Naruto Shippuden anime is sooooo epic.

Gameplay- 6/10

Again, ripped from the last game. Controls are all the same, battles play out in exactly the same way. The only thing that made this game better than the last game, was that the Ultimate Jutsu (Ultimate moves that are waaay too easy to pull off) moves look better than the last game. There is about double the characters offered in the last game thankfully. The first game had 16 characters, this one has 32 or so. It does have an adventure mode that you unlock after the story is complete, but it quickly gets boring. sadly it is required that you complete this time-after-time-after-time to unlock the final character. The main thing that made this game better than its predecessor was the Shippuden version of Sasuke.

Graphics- 7/10

Absolutely ripped from the last game. There was no improvement at all. The character model look and move the same. The Ultimate Jutsu graphics are the same. There was no change whatsoever in the overall graphics content. The models were blocky and pixely; which is not totally unexpected for a DS game. But there should have been a little more improvement after the year and a half between the first game's release and this ones.

Controls- 5/10

Exactly the same, down to the letter or button I guess. Nothing more to say there.

Overall- 5/10

It's really the same game and the original Ninja Destiny only with more characters. I made the mistake of paying $30.00 for it. It is only worth a rent because by the 3rd day or so, you have unlocked most of the characters if not all of them. And you will no doubt be bored of it. Even for hardcore Naruto fans like myself, save yourself the money-go rent it. And if you are not a Naruto fan, you won't find much if anything that will make you want to watch the series. If you want a decent Naruto game, try a PS2 or PS3 game.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 10/14/09

Game Release: Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Destiny 2 (US, 09/15/09)