Review by 6xdandangp

"Nintendo has milked the cash cow again, sadly..."

Pokemon has been around for about 14 years, I've enjoyed the series for quite a while, until I saw that it scarcely changed and remained largely the same for the entire 14 years. You might like this game, though, I just didn't enjoy this game very much. It was largely the same thing as Diamond/Pearl and I felt like Nintendo was just trying to make money again...I felt that Nintendo cheated me.

Gameplay 2/10
The gameplay is terribly flawed, I don't see any real fun to pressing a couple of buttons or using the touch screen and then waiting for about 20 seconds to watch the animations. On top of that, Pokemon games are always too easy. There's no real challenge into it and pressing buttons while waiting for the little attack animations to appear are far too repetitive for the average gamer.

Graphics 2/10
Pokemon games used to have decent graphics back in the Game boy and GBC ages, but the thing is that they scarcely changed the graphics from then to now. The graphics are of far below mediocre quality for the DS. Platinum's graphics haven't been improved from Diamond and Pearl's... It looked like they weren't trying to improve the graphics at all in the last two years.

Sound 1/10
I don't understand why people like the Pokemon series sound so much. The music still uses the bleeps and bloops of the Game boy and the GBC ages. They might be a slight step up from the game boy ages but they're the same exact thing as the GBA Pokemon games in terms of sound. The DS can play more instruments and I sort of doubt gamefreak knows that. The songs are based on opinion, like it or don't like it, but the quality is far below average for the DS.

Story 0/10
Pokemon games used to have a semi-OK story, but for today's standards, they have no real story anymore. You're just a Pokemon trainer who tries to save the region, every single time. There's always a team(this time it's team galactic) that tries to take over the region or the world, and you end up stopping them every single time as well. You also have to collect 8 badges and beat the elite four, as I said, there's no real story in it, and even Pokemon fans would agree to me that the story is far too short.

Replay value 7/10
This is the only part where the game is decent at, you'll spend quite a few hours trying to finish the side quests. However, since the gameplay is extremely boring, you'll not enjoy playing it for too long from its flawed battle system and surprisingly short minigames.

Overall 2.4/10
I gave it a low score because, when you think about it, this game really isn't enjoyable. Pokemon Platinum is essentially the same as Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, and I believe Nintendo made it just for the money. They didn't work on improving it and, instead, just tried to advertise it as is. Unfortunately, it worked like always, I'd recommend against getting it if you have Diamond and Pearl. If you don't have it, you might actually enjoy it, it's your call on getting it or not.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 05/09/09

Game Release: Pokemon Platinum Version (US, 03/22/09)