Review by hobbes1294

"A Platinum Medal for Platinum"

It's official. Nintendo is the best game programming company on the surface of the earth. It all started with Red and Blue, and has evolved into one of the best-selling franchises in the world.

Gameplay:
What can't I say? There is the big storyline that all of us get a kick out of playing, but alongside that, there are plenty of sidequests during and after the main story. Lots of areas to explore, nearly 500 Pokemon to catch, and a never-gets-old endless supply of battles will keep even the most serious RPG players engaged for hours.

Graphics:
The animations are amazing. The battle moves are more thrilling than the 2007 installments, and even better, Nintendo came up with animations for the Gym Leaders and important characters. Diamond and Pearl didn't have that. The artists must've spent a good amount of time on this game, because it shows in every way imaginable.

Multiplayer:
I remember the days of Emerald and the GBA where you wouldn't be able to battle someone without breathing in their face using that Link Cable. Well, now that DS's use Wi-Fi now, all I need to do is walk into a Starbucks and get everything set up. It keeps the same basic concepts as the previous versions, but there are much more variations now.

The Underground is pretty fun also, by yourself or with a friend. The traps down there aren't really even traps, they're just little fun things you can do. If you have a friend, you get to play Capture the Flag and get some loot. The more you do underground with your friends, the more notorious you become and the more you can decorate your Secret Base. Very enjoyable.

Storyline:
The two new characters in the game, Looker and Charon, pop up in the opening animation. That way Diamond players won't walk into a building and be like "Who the heck is THAT guy?" The storyline deviates off Diamond, but only enough so they can create a new version of the original story, while keeping the exact same spots as Diamond & Pearl.

Overall:
Even if you have Pearl or Diamond, you'll like this game. I'd highly recommend this to anyone who loves RPGs or if you just want a fresh kick out of the Pokemon series. Heck, this would be a great game if you're into Final Fantasy and Advance Wars. A spectacular game overall.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/24/09

Game Release: Pokemon Platinum Version (US, 03/22/09)