Review by KeyBlade999

"I choose you!"

Pokemon Platinum, the entrance to the fourth generation of Pokemon. Started more than one decade (10 years) ago, it was an instant hit. Started with Pokemon Red Version, Nintendo and Game Freak's first co-operative project was a huge mess in the internal stuff. Many glitches, as well as many glitch Pokemon. The next installments, Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal searched out through Johto. Even better as a hit and a whole, but still, it had the glitches that all Pokemon games have - even today! Also released was the Pokemon Stadiums, also a stage in Super Smash Bros. Melee. The next generation (and my first Game Boy Advance game) included Pokemon Sapphire, Ruby, and Emerald as you searched throughout Hoenn region. Released at the near same time, Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen took you again through the Kanto region once more, as the Game Boy Color games were getting old, maybe incompatible. Nintendo and Game Freak also released Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness and Pokemon Channel, as far as I know. Four years later, we get these: Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. The game that this review's subject is. Pokemon games were also released on the Nintendo Wii at this time, and, sooner or later (or already...?), Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver will take you through Kanto and Johto in one fell swoop. Onto the review!

Pokemon Platinum's basic gameplay has remained the same as the whole series. This game uses a RPG (role-playing game) - like system. Any major RPG has two major characteristics. A story in which you save something or, in this case, accomplish a major goal. Also major, a system in which you gain power. The story is somewhat absent in the way you would think. "I don't save the world, this isn't an RPG!" Well, true, you don't save the world. But saving the world can be translated as accomplishing a tough goal. In Pokemon, becoming the Pokemon League Champion of your region, be it Kanto, Hoenn, or Sinnoh. Becoming the Champion of a whole region is very tough, would you not agree?

Pokemon Platinum also retains the original level up system, a system based on experience points, or EXP. This system is more than similar to most, if not all, RPGs. You, in real life, get stronger by fighting, sort of. In Pokemon, you also fight fights, called Pokemon battles. Simple, right? Yeah, pretty much. The system's basic rule - no pain, no gain. As you fight harder fights, you get more EXP. With a maximum of six Pokemon, it can be tough to have a tough party of six, as only two at max can be participating at once.

There are some new features not [entirely] included in the previous games. The first is Pal Park. By accomplishing the hard goal of, well, I can't say, you get the ability to import those four year old Pokemon from third generation games. This is the must have method to finishing the Pokedex. The problem with this is that Nintendo DSi's cannot do this, as it has no GBA slot. The solution is the Nintendo DS's multiplayer. With enough game chips and Nintendo DS's, you can have two on two battles with your friends, or trade some Pokemon you need. You can mix records to find their secret accomplishments, or go underground and mess with one another's secret bases. Also, like some games, you can use Nintendo WFC to play with those WORLDWIDE! You can get some Nintendo Event Pokemon from an event that happened in England, or finish some kid's Lv. 100 Shaymin in Japan. However, the limitation to this is the fact you need friend codes (FCs). You can still trade worldwide via Nintendo WFC. You can also use wireless to communicate the Nintendo Wii Pokemon games for special features, or even other games!

The main story is the same as ever. You have taken a quick trip to a lake when you're attacked by two Pokemon, and must use a starter. You use the starter that isn't yours, but you may keep. You and your friend now go on an adventure to beat the eight gyms and become Pokemon League Champion of Sinnoh! Along the way, you meet and catch 113 Pokemon not seen in previous games. You need no other games to understand this, just this one. However, the Game Boy Advance games can help in more than one way.

The graphics have been totally revamped. More three dimensional elements have been added. The game gives less of a bird's-eye view, unlike third generation games. You can easily see shadows in objects, and more weather effects have been seen, such as snow. Alas, there are no underwater areas. However, a new game required better graphics, and that remains true here. The new 113 Pokemon are more colorful and vibrant, as are those you import. You get a different contest and multiple ways for multiplayer. You have to admit, those additions alone make the game good; the graphics made it a hit.
Great for a Nintendo DS game, as ever!

The music is also revamped! When you play other games, the music is rather bland, in comparison. Just the introduction music knocked me off my feet. I was very much amazed. The Pokemon cries, native or not to the Sinnoh region, have been bettered, more vibrant, if possible. It is now even easier to identify a Pokemon by cry alone. The music, as always, fits the mood of a location or scenario. Look at Twinleaf. Calming, right? Compare it to battling Dialga/Palkia, and you see the difference. Mainly, there are many places, many scenarios, which means many types of music. For a game, in general, it is in my Top 10.

Pokemon games, no matter what, take a while to finish. This is no different. It takes a while to become Champion, about 20 to 45 hours. However, there is so much extra. I am almost done, and I've played about two hundred hours. There are so many sidequests, such as the Battle Tower and legendary catching, that take hours upon hours. However, the most time-consuming is filling the Pokedex completely. That has been my main task for two months. Well, replaying is okay. It is less fun, but is okay to me. It is okay to replay to relive the challenge, the excitement, but at the cost losing that valuable file. Alas, that is the price. That decision is for you to decide. I'm just saying - it is decent to replay a lot.

Anyways, buy it. Fast. This game is entirely too good to pass up, so why not? As 10/10 is the limit, I say that and mean it. Although it costs a lot still, it is worth every penny tripled. The game has so many new and revamped factors, it is amazing. This game is actually the best game of its year in my book. This game, and others, are mainly found at GameStop for $20. Go ahead, grab it. You'll love it. This game has totally filled the last three months of my life to its fullest. Pokemon Platinum, in my 20/20 vision eyes, is the best of its year, maybe even on of the best of the decade, maybe even gaming history. Yes, that good. Don't miss that opportunity, please.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/18/10

Game Release: Pokemon Platinum Version (US, 03/22/09)