Review by Godstriker8

"Me love this game long time!"

ntroduction-
After an explosive entry on the next-gen systems, Rockstar decided to put a more unique entry in the series onto the DS. For a system that's not known for “M” games, Rockstar has taken a HUGE risk by making this game. Not only is it making a leap to unfamiliar hardware, but it's also transferring the GTA gameplay we know and love, onto the system with the weakest specs of this generation. Yet miraculously it works, and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars proves to be one of the best games on the DS.

Gameplay-
Although it plays from a top-down perspective which is reminiscent of the original GTAs, all of the modern GTA features are here. You can still do taxi missions, you can still carjack people and be an ass, and the free roaming aspect of GTA is intact. In addition to this, new elements have been added to the classic GTA formula. Take for example, the addictive drug trading minigame, where you buy low and sell high, many times I was driving to a mission, only to be sidetracked by drug dealer on the way there. Yet another feature is the context-sensitive touch minigames. Whether it's breaking a windshield, or hotwiring a car, the stylus quickly feels like it always belonged in GTA.
Overall:10/10

Sound-
Although there are no more vocal tracks or advertisements for the radio stations, this is forgivable due to the DS's limitations. Yet another slight disappointment was the cutscenes which lack voice-overs. Again, this is forgivable and it shouldn't dampen your experience by much. Although, when you're mugging people on the street or barely missed hitting a person, they talk back and yell at you which fills the experience with a little more personality.

Story-
I'm not going to spoil anything, but despite the lack of voice-overs I thought the story was well written. No spoilers here, but your name is Hwang Lee: A pampered rich kid, who's father is a triad boss. Your father just got killed, so you're delivering an ancient sword to your uncle Kenny, unfortunately “events” occur and madness ensues.

Controls-
Hwang controls pretty smoothly, and the stylus use feels right. Not really much to say, except “It works”
Overall 10/10

Graphics-
I'm stunned. You really have to see the game in action. Everything is well detailed, without a hint of slowdown. (Exception is when you have 3 or more badges). I think the people could be a little more detailed, but I'm just nitpicking. What they've done with the DS is incredible.

Replayability
It's GTA. Do I have to say more? Road races, dozens of missions, drug wars, vehicle bonus missions, this game is jam packed. It will keep you going for quite awhile. If you've done EVERYTHING, You can still just piss people off and fight the cops. (b^_^)b

Closing comments:
This game is amazing. Buy it, love it, spread the word, because we want a sequel!
Modern GTA gameplay, with all of the content you love + Great graphics + an original GTA story. What's not to love?

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/19/09

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (US, 03/17/09)