Review by darkmoon218

"GTA: Chinatown Wars, Quickie Review"

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Storyline: The game is based around the character Huang Lee who arrives in Liberty City after his father's murders to present a family heirloom, a sword named Yu-Jian, to his uncle. Upon arrival, the sword is stolen. Huang quest is based around finding the thieves of Yu-Jian and to find his father's killers.

Graphics: GTA Chinatown Wars goes back to the top-down view of the first two predecessors of the GTA series. I feel that this is done well in the game where the view is top down but the buildings and other things in the environment have a 3D feel to them, like the camera above is tilting slighting giving a view of the sides of objects instead of just the top.

Audio: The soundtracks of the series improved since the beginning, but in this game, it's taken a step back. The soundtrack is set on 5 different radio stations which plays instrumentals of the stations respective genre of music. There aren't voiceovers in the cutscenes though there are some voice clips in the game, some which are very humorous as in when opening the DS from sleep mode, there would be a voice clip varying from "Wanna eat my pie?" to "I'm still a virgin!"

Gameplay: The gameplay is GTA Chinatown Wars is incredible. It retains the same feel of any other GTA game, the view point doesn't change that at all. There is a lot of action, shooting, cop chases. Since the game is on the DS there are some minigames that involve the touchscreen, from hijacking a car -to- smashing a window to escape from a sinking car. There is also a lot of side tasks such as Taxi Driving, Police Missions, Paramedic Missions, Fire Truck Missions and Drug Trafficking. There is some multiplayer capability with one other player. There are modes that involve Racing, Defend the Base, and a couple other modes. The thing that disappointed me was that those multiplayer modes weren't carried over into Wi-Fi. Though there is some Wi-Fi capabilites, nothing that compares with modes of Local DS-to-DS, but it is a good addition none the less. You are able to text each other, trade items, and share favorited waypoints. The thing about this that makes it forgivable is the fact that the players can still play the game and still be connected.

Overall: GTA Chinatown Wars does so many new things. I would have never expected a game done this well on the DS, especially with it being at the top-down viewpoint that it is in. But don't let the appearance fool you, the game is great no matter the view point, it packs a lot of fun with it's game play and isn't that bad to look at. It offers up to 10 or more hours of gameplay if you take your time in it. This game is definitely a buy, and I would argue to say that this is one of the best games on the Nintendo DS.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/30/09

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (US, 03/17/09)