Review by FfMaStEr2121

"If you have no problems with drugs and violence, make sure you book yourself a taxi to Chinatown."

The Grand Theft Auto series is one of the most controversial franchises in video game history. From the Hot Coffee mod in San Andreas to your first "bang" down a street in GTA III, the franchises is hated by few and loved by many. So when a GTA game was announced for Nintendo's Handheld people were ecstatic as Nintendo was ready to recieve it's first new GTA game.

Let me just say, I am in no way endorsing people under 18 to play this game, but if your parents allow you to play it then do what you want. But if you're not allowed then you're not missing out on a lot. There are tons of great games for the DS which fall in each age category so you're set.

"Look at me, I'm purty"

When you look at the pictures of the game the game doesn't look great but you have to see the game in motion to get the full experience. The game runs smoothly with the odd slowdown once you get 3 stars, but it's not too noticeable. The details in this game are what makes the game really comfortable. If you take a few minutes and drive around with the volume up then you will notice that the creators of this game - Rockstar Leeds - put a lot of effort into this game to make it look nice and not just your standard sandbox game. This is one of the few games on the DS where if you take a moment to admire the game, you will be truly satisfied. Also, it is 3D, it just has an isometric perspective.

"Play me, I control well!"

You may've heard that there are a few problems with the gameplay - e.g. bad targetting, bad camera control - but these aren't really bad. I had no problem with the targetting system and it worked fine and fluently. The camera felt fine, but I had it zoomed out as much as you can and it felt really easy to drive. The driving is really simple and fluent as you can easily dodge cars and obstacles - easier than most GTA games - while getting to your goals as fast as usual. Shooting and punching feel fine, and moving on foot feels great. I don't have much more to say, the controls are fine - not perfect but near enough.

"Got any coke, cracka?"

In the game is a controversial drugs minigame in which you drive around, either hijack a drugs van, steal, or buy some drugs for cheap and sell them to people paying high prices, which can net you profits of massive proportions. The minigame is awesome, it's easy to get used to and is necessary in some cases to continue with the game. It was a great addition as it adds replay value and you'll be amazed how much money you can make while playing it.

"So what did you think of me?"

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is a magnificent addition into the Grand Theft Auto series, matching it's predecessors in every aspect. If you have no problems with drugs and violence, make sure you book yourself a taxi to Chinatown.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/13/09

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (EU, 03/20/09)