Review by 03J

"First Grand Theft Auto game on the Nintendo DS"

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars was released for the Nintendo DS in March of 2009. This game's setting is the same Liberty City that was in Grand Theft Auto IV.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is very fun because of the way you are going to be making most of your money in the game. While you still do missions and get a little bit of money for it, you also sell drugs to drug dealers in the game Every time you are about to buy or sell drugs, you see what your potential profit or loss would be so you don't keep getting taken advantage of in these deals. The camera view is overhead in this game which will cause problems for people who usually don't play Grand Theft Auto Titles with an overhead view which includes making driving hard especially when train tracks obstruct your view in some places. The game is also harder because cops will bother you about anything. It seems every time you crash, a cop is there ready to chase you down so the cops are a whole lot more annoying in this game then they were in Grand Theft Auto IV. The controls are fine and when you have to do things like hot wiring a car or searching a dumpster for something, the touch screen comes into play where you have to move the DS stick around on the bottom part of the screen. This is also true when you're using a weapon like Molotov Cocktails. Speaking of weapons, there are no ammu-nation stores in the game. Now you access the ammu-nation website, place your order and have to wait for the weapons to be delivered to your safehouse. It's not a bad thing in my opinion and is easy to get used to.

The story in this game is your character is named Hwang Lee and you're supposed to be delivering a really valuable sword to your Uncle. Unfortunately things don't go to plan and you have to find out who stole the legendary sword and get it back along with your respect.

The graphics are OK, neither good nor bad. It's everything from Grand Theft Auto IV with less detail. Also there are two things I do not like about the sound in this game. First when you listen to the radio in the car, you just hear bits and pieces and I know a DS game only has so much memory but it still is a problem. Also there are no voices in the game when you take on missions, you have to read the conversations that happen before every mission. However there are voices when the police are trying to chase you down.

As every Grand Theft Auto this game is not something you're going to beat very quickly. Also there is a multi-player option which I have yet to try out. The replayability in this game would exist because after everything is done, you can still buy and sell drugs just accepting the good deals when you have free time on your hands.

I give this game an 8 out of 10. The sound and graphics are what keeps me from giving this game a perfect score and this game just wasn't close to perfect. However anyone who has a DS and likes Grand Theft Auto should definitely get this game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 09/08/09

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (US, 03/17/09)