Review by ima420r

"Boring and unoriginal"

I wanted to like this game, and I really tried to, but I just couldn't get in to it.

You are Henry Hatsworth. You are some sort of explorer and you find a hat that gives you powers. What powers you ask? How about the power to have more hearts (health)! Or the power to change in to a big robot, does that do anything for you? It didn't for me.

I like the idea of a platform game mixed with a puzzle game, it's a neat idea. Too bad this game does not get the job done right.

The platform part of the game is uninspired and unoriginal. It is boring and is nothing new. It is the model for basic side-scrolling platform games. You jump over gaps, you shoot your gun and you swing your sword. It's pretty straight forward. There are different ways to go in a level, but they all lead to a big fat yawn.

The puzzle side of the game is easy and boring. There isn't much to it, match rows of 3 or more of the same color blocks, make them disappear. It's like tetris's baby brother, it's much younger and untalented brother.

The platforming takes place on the top screen while below is the puzzle game.

The game mixes the puzzle and platform together but it brings very little to the game. Getting more block matches can affect your game, and if you let the blocks get too high they pop up on the platform screen. I don't know what happens once the blocks get all the way on to the top screen, I never had any problems keeping them low, but I am told that bad things can happen.

When you kill baddies on the top screen, they go in to the blocks on the bottom. I assume they might get free and attack, but as I said I never had that happen because keeping the puzzle blocks under control is very simple.

There really isn't much more to say about the game. I can't say the music is good or bad as I play with no sound (I play at work so I have to keep the volume down). The graphics are good, but it's just a standard DS game. It's not revolutionary or anything, it looks just like any other DS game.

If your looking for a puzzle/platform game, play tetris and super mario bros at the same time, it's will be more entertaining and more challenging. Of course, to do that you would need 2 nintendo DSs. I suppose you could play the original super mario bros on your TV and play tetris on your DS, that would work and it would be a much more enjoyable experience than Henry Hatsworth.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 04/09/09

Game Release: Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (US, 03/17/09)