Review by nekofjung

"Yugioh WC 2009 - satisfying cards, unsatisfying story"

The Yugioh World Championship games have been coming out for years now. This is the next game in the series and is based around the 5D's anime. Let's see how it stacks up to the rest!

Gameplay:
The gameplay this time around was very similar to that of the former 2008 version as far as dueling is concerned. The extra racing parts were done ok, but not great. That is sort of expected however considering this game is not primarily a racing game, but still the graphics while racing seems very blurry to me so it was sometimes difficult to see when an obstacle was coming up or where some turns were. Overall, however, the main thing to look at is the dueling gameplay. It has become a bit faster from the 2008 version but most things have stayed the same, which is good because the way they have it now seems to be pretty much the best way of doing things imo.
8/10

Story:
Dear lord this was an awful storyline. Just random event after random event after random event. You never really got to know much about any of the characters and the plot twists were incomprehensible due to how poorly everything was developed. Maybe if you actually watched the anime you would know what is going on, but for those of us who haven't this was confusing and sort of irritating. There were odd puzzles and most were so easy that an infant pressing random keys could do them. Then there were other parts that I had to spend hours trying to figure out what the heck I needed to do. There was barely anything that you could call an ending and if you really wanted to, you could probably beat the story mode in less than 10-15 hours because it is very short.
3/10

Graphics/Sound:
Meh, sound was ok. After awhile it got a bit annoying, but not the worst thing I've ever heard and not bad enough to drive me insane. Graphics were pretty good compared to previous version. You had 3D sprites of the monsters that looked halfway decent. The only graphics issue I had was the fact that they reused sprites for random people in the story mode over and over and over again to the point where you start to think that you are facing 7 different people with 100 different name. =(
6/10

Replayability:
Well, there really isn't replayability so much as continuing to play it after you beat it. That, for the most part, is ok. You can play other people through WiFi so that gives continuing hours of entertainment. Konami still didn't fix the problem with people who disconnect getting no penalty, so if you're about to win your opponent will probably just disconnect to steal away your victory. All of the leaderboard people do that. However, if you stick to just playing your friends and friends you make later online, then you can still end up having fun with this feature.
7/10

Final Recommendation:
If you are a Yugioh fan and have played the previous games, this one is worth the buy. I don't suggest renting because the main fun from the game comes after beating it when you have lots of cards and can duel people via WiFi.

Final Rating = 7/10. Konami could have fixed a few more things from previous version, the AI is an idiot savant, but there are now a ton of cards in the game and I don't think anyone will be able to complain much about a lack of cards this time around, unlike in previous games.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 04/06/09

Game Release: Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Stardust Accelerator: World Championship 2009 (JP, 03/26/09)