Question from tyranitaronweed

Good electric type?

I'm looking for a good Electric type for my team. Can anyone give me any suggestions? If you need to know anything about my team before you can make a decision, feel free to ask.

Actually, Ampharos is the one I'm trying to switch.
I like it, it's just that it's defense and speed are low, so it dies before I can land a hit on anything.

Ok, I think I'll either go with Jolteon or Rotom, but before I decide, lemme just ask one more question.
You know that guy named Primo in the Violet City Pokemon Center? I know for a fact that giving him a certain password will let you get Pokemon Eggs. I know for a fact that one of them is a Mareep Egg, and I have access to the password, so is it worth getting? Like, does it have any special moves or anything?

From: MetalKingBoo 4 years ago

There are a few good choices:
- Electivire: Excellent Attack stat backed up by decent Speed, Sp. Defense and Sp. Attack stats. Has a pretty cool and unqiue ability: Motor Drive, where it gets more Speed every time it gets targeted by an Electric Attack. Also has a good movepool.
The only problem is that aside from it's low Defense, you can't get the Electirizer item until late into the game. But if you have 1 already, or if you have Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and you can trade, then great.

- Magnezone: Huge Sp. Attack stat, backed up by lovely Defense and decent Sp.Defense. It's typing gives the most amount of resistances in the entire series, with 12 + 1 immunity. If you give it Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon and Tri Attack (or Hidden Power Grass), it can hit nearly every Pokemon for neutral damage at least.
The only letdown is it's average Speed, and the fact that you have to get it on Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, since you can only get it on those games

- Jolteon: One of the faster Electric Pokemon. Exceptional Speed, backed up by good Sp. Attack stats and decent Sp. Defense. Unfortunately it doesn't have the greatest movepool but still, it's a very good choice for an Electric.

- Lanturn: Not the greatest but it's still good. It's a pretty bulky Pokemon (though low Defense ruins it) and it has a unique typing of Water and Electric, both of which are great types offensively and defensively. It's Volt Absorb grants free recovery when appropriate, and can also use Ice Beam for those pesky Dragons.

Hope this helps you decide!

In my opinion, Ampharos. I'm using one and all I do is spam Thunder with the help with Rain Dance and Damp Rock. It has pretty good Sp. Atk and average speed and defense.

Do you only want ones that you can catch pre-National Dex or just anything Electric Type?

Pre-National Dex
Electabuzz - Good to breed for an Elekid with good moves because of Electabuzz's Evolution (once you can get an Electirizer).

Magneton - Decent Sp.Atk and many resistances. Good until you trade to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum to Evolve it inside Sinnoh's Mt. Coronet.

Jolteon - Great Speed. Great Sp.Atk. Volt Absorb Ability allows it to free-switch into Electric Type Moves. What else do you need?

Ampharos - Yes, it does seem slow and has fragile Defense, but its Static Ability and Discharge attack Move have saved me from several losses against the Gyms. Great for using Rain Dance VS Red at Mt. Silver later on. You may want to keep it...

Electrode - ...or not. Everything Ampharos can do, Special-wise, Electrode does faster...much, much faster.

Raikou - If you can catch it, go for it. Pressure Ability is awesome.

Post-National Dex
Raichu - Yes, Post-National Dex because Pikachu are only in Viridian Forest if you didn't get the Yellow Forest Pokewalker Course. If you did, Surf, Thunderbolt, Signal Beam, and Hidden Power (NOT Water, Electric, or Bug Type, Fire or Rock work well) will take you far.

Luxray - Intimidate Ability + Ice Fang and Fire Fang as Egg Moves + Spark and Iron Tail = Success.

Zapdos - Another Legendary that's well worth it. If you want Lt. Surge's Phone Number, you need to catch it anyway.

Magnezone and Electivire - See MetalKingBoo's comment.

Lanturn - Bulky HP and low weight mean it can survive Grass Knot quite well. Surf, Thunderbolt, Signal Beam, and Hidden Power sound familiar? The only difference is that Surf gains STAB and Volt Absorb Ability.

Rotom - Requires a trade, but why not? Rotom's Special Forms are available inside the Silph Co. building (check the broken elevator with Rotom in the Lead Slot).

The Mareep egg is nothing special. It's the same as a normal Mareep.

Possibly think about a Manectric also, it may look a little stupid, but its attacks are pretty good, you can have it learn fire fang along with the electric moves, so that you can prepare it for anything,
But Electivire is awesome, especially if you teach it flamethrower or egg learn it cross chop, then you can teach it focus blast
And I have an Ampharos at level 99 and its got good hp, pretty susceptible to earthquake deaths, but mine knows thunder, discharge, focus blast, and signal beam, so it can take out a lot of stuff with it
May want to also consider pachirisu, it can know last resort which is 130 power if you have no pp on any other moves