Review by zeldamaster2

"Excellent Pokemon Game, One Of The Best Pokemon Games Ever Released"

I've been playing this game since a little after the release in Japan and I have decided that now that I have finished it I should review it!

The gameplay is pretty much the same, it feels like Platinum. Hey, it's Pokemon, the formula hasn't changed much and it still feels fresh. I would give this a 9 but the addition of the Pokethlon made me reconsider!

Controls: 10/10
Now here the game shines! Much of the game can be interacted with the stylus rather than the old button style. This might seem stupid but it actually makes the game run faster at times, which is a plus, at least for me.

The graphics are beautiful; sure, they are very similar to those in Platinum (most seems to be a copy) but the beautiful graphics make Johto and Kanto look modern and beautiful. This is a perfect mix of what's old with what's new.

Music: 10/10
The music is amazing, definitely an impressive part of the game. It's amazing. Nothing needs to be said, the original themes have been remade so perfectly they're nostalgic and amazing. Plus, if you don't like the new themes, eventually you'll get to choose (by means of an item) to play the originals instead!!

Difficulty: 9.5/10
The game is not "perfect" here but I can't blame Nintendo, there are 16 badges to find so leveling up is done quite slowly this may or may not make the game more difficult, especially if you train a big team, like 6 Pokemon. Nevertheless, a good strategy can push you through the elite four even at "low" levels, my 6 Pokemon team got to the E4 all around level 40 and my starter (the highest) at level 45 and I had little problems. A few gym leaders are going to be a pain (Bugsy and Whitney come to mind) and with the extreme difficulty of leveling up (no VS-Seeker and very weak wild Pokemon [level 20~ in the route below Blackthorn City!]) this game is actually quite difficult - at the start. Once you reach the Kanto region, you'll see the difficulty fall to near 0.

This game is almost perfect (I miss the VS Seeker) and I think I like this much more than any other Pokemon game I've played before (I've played all of the main ones) and don't hesitate just because you've already played GSC and think this is just "more of the same", it is not, this game is outstanding and very well done. Buy it, go hurry up and buy it!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/15/10

Game Release: Pokemon HeartGold Version (US, 03/14/10)